12- 1968

^^An actual puppy

Y/N's P.O.V.

I felt like shit.
I tried to move, but pain shot through me and I groaned.
Somehow, I managed to open my eyes, finding myself in the lab. I looked around seeing someone -no, not someone, Diego- with his head against the bed, holding my hand. He was snoring quietly and I couldn't help but smile a little at the sight.

"He hasn't left your side." A familiar voice said and I turned my head, seeing Pogo walking in.
"How are you feeling, Miss Y/N?"

"Sore." I whispered, not wanting to wake Diego.

"Hmm, yes. If it wasn't for your remarkable healing capabilities, you would be dead." He said and I leaned back.
"They're extraordinary, especially for a regular human."

"I can't even remember what happened." I sighed.
"Detective Patch and I, we were looking for the shooters and then we found Klaus. I can't remember anything after that. Is Patch okay? She didn't get hurt, right?"

"Patch is dead." Diego said, making me jump a little.
"Those bastards killed her and they almost killed you too."

"No. They couldn't of, I-" Diego squeezed my hand and I looked at him with pleading eyes, begging him to tell me it was just a sick joke.
"I was there. She shouldn't have died. It's my fault."

"No, Y/N. Don't do this to yourself." Five said from the doorway.
"Hazel and Cha-Cha killed her. You should consider yourself lucky to be alive."

"You piece of shit!" Diego yelled and I flinched.
"They're only here because of you! Do you have any idea what you have done?!" He stood up, but I tightened my grip on his hand.
"They killed my friend, Five. They almost killed Y/N. That blood is on your hands."

"Diego, stop." I sighed and he sat back down.
"Who are they, Five?"

"They work for my former employer." Five said, looking down.
"A woman called the Handler. She sent them... to stop me. Then as soon as Y/N and your friend got in the way, well, fair game."

"Yeah? Well now they're my fair game." Diego spat.
"And I'm going to make sure they pay."

"That would be a mistake, Diego. They've killed people far more dangerous than you." Five said, turning to leave.

"Yeah, we'll see about that." Diego retaliated and Pogo shook his head.

"Pogo, how long until I'm up and about again?" I asked.

"A week, at least." Diego said and I rolled my eyes.

"You should be fully healed in a matter of days. As I said, your healing capabilities are outstanding." Diego opened his mouth to protest, but I shut him up by squeezing his hand.

~

Bored of laying around, I decided to go for a walk around. Getting up hurt, but I thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity, considering Diego had left to check something out and Pogo had left me to rest.
Pain filled grunts caught my attention and I turned the corner, finding a blood trail that led into Klaus' room. Leaning against the wall for support, I knocked on the door.

"Klaus, you made it back." I sighed, looking at him.
"You okay? You don't look so good."

"Hey." He muttered.
"You don't look the best either."

"I've been shot 3 times in 2 days, what's your excuse?" I joked, walking in and sitting on his bed. He didn't reply.
"Klaus?"

"I'm fine... long night." He sighed, pulling on a tee.

"I didn't know you had dog tags?" I asked.

"They belonged to a friend." He replied in a whisper.

"The tattoo?" I recognised it. It was one that soldiers got, to show their commitment. Though, from what I knew, Klaus had never been commuted to anything other than drugs.

"Long night." He repeated.

"Klaus, don't lie to me." I sighed and he sat down next to me.
"Just tell me what happened?"

"When Five's pals broke in and couldn't find Five, they took me hostage instead. There was a briefcase. I thought there was money in it, I could pawn it or whatever, but when I opened it... 1968." He said quietly.

"1968?" I questioned and he laughed slightly.

"Yeah. The Vietnam War. Dave, god, you would have loved Dave." He said, tearing up.
That's how I learned about the 10 months my brother spent fighting a war and falling in love, all to have it taken away from him.
By the end we were both in tears.