CHAPTER 29: The object

MILES

__________

I walked aross the rubble that once was a hall. Bodies of young adults and even some children all robbed of life laying tattered on the rough blood patched floor.

Chunks of metal of the once safe dome scattered like leaves on a windy autumn day. The blades of the chopper blew dust and snow around. My frozen fingers hidden in the pockets of my black drench coat.

The calm chaos I see around me made me sick.

I examined a few feet in front of me to see a familiar object in the mess of it all. After removing small slabs of cement and metal I picked up a light blue sports bag. Although covered in dirt after I dusted it off a bitt a faint trace of embroidery was visible. I rubbed off more grime to make out a word I feared it would show..Adira.

I felt a mix of worry and fear stirr in my chest. The picture of her scared or even on the verge of death haunted my thoughts. Grief swelled in my throat. My eyes stung trying to fight off the incoming tears. I gripped the bag tighter in my hands my mouth open in shock of the fear of what occurred.

"We should get going, theres nothing here." My old friend and pilot called behind me.

I didn't even look back at him.

After a moment I went back in the chopper with a grasp still on the bag in my hands.

Thoughts, theories and a plans flooded my head. Suddenly I knew what must be done.

-------

Sorry I haven't updated in awhile. school started a 3weeks ago