CHAPTER 31: When I woke up

AXEL

---------

I lived in Poland most my whole life; that's where the idea of the "boxes" was imagined.

My older sister was helping the design of it about 7 years ago. At the time she was doing this, I had no idea it was important. Most of the time I was playing futball (soccer) or the presently happening sport lacrosse;  to escape the never-ending cold by being in a gym.

My parents never were a part of my life. Instead I lived with a foster family until my sister was old enough to take care of me.

I usually tell people I have parents, so that they think my sister's my mom, and if they ask if I have siblings, I just say I have half ones just so I don't have to make up any childhood stories.

It's just more comfortable to lie about my home situation than to say I don't have parents. Not that I'm saying lying is okay, but I despise all that sympathy crap.

About every other day, my 27 year-old sister Kathleen picked me up after practice about an hour late. I sat on a bench in the freezing cold, my thick jacket barely making a difference, the hood pulled over my frozen cheeks. The only thing that kept me company was my backpack and futball gear, which is pretty dang pathetic.

I was extremely excited to see an old yellow BMW  pull up in front of me.

"Sorry I'm late, work was overflowing with new information today," she called out the window.

"Shut it. I really don't care; I just wanna get home." I said, exhausted, while I slammed the car door.

I rubbed my hands together and blew on them in attempt to get them warm.

"Well, about that......"

I looked over at her, ticked already.

"I have to go back to the laboratory." she spilled.

I groaned in utter frustration, leaning my head back against the chair.

"Sorry, kid."

"Maybe we can make some warm kogel mogel" (aka kogiel mogiel) "when I'm done?" She added.

If you're wondering what that foreign word means, it's a sweet Polish beverage that is usually served cold; but is in my opinion better warm.

I hate being bribed; but her offer was too good to refuse.

"Ok, fine."

"Thanks Ax, I owe you one."

I still sat there arms crossed, trying not to give her the complete satisfaction of winning.

Soon the P.I.I.S (Poland's Innovation Institute of Science) was in sight. Most people call it pie(s) just to keep it simple. Also, because pie is pretty cool.

My sister pressed her hand against the transparent blue, energy filled glass that scanned the palm of her hand.

"Kathleen Rayne Chilzen is approved. Please procede." the pre-recorded voice replied.

The shield went up, and we drove into the parking lot.

We parked on the second floor of the five story parking structure. Then we got out of the car.

Kathy put her lemon-colored blonde hair in a ponytail, put on her white science-y over coat on her twig shaped body and her glasses on top of her light green eyes. My sister was pretty I'll admit that, but she is such a dork.

"Axel, you need to try to not touch a thing in here, okay?"

"I know I got it," I said, annoyed at having to be told this.