CHAPTER 40: To Feel

CASEY

-----------
If you haven't noticed I'm not the average girl. I've been through a lot without a tear and my head held high, and I love it that way. It got to the point where I rarely felt a thing, good or bad...and I preferred it. Yesterday I was thrown completely off by what Axel said, it wasn't really all that affectionate but it made me feel something... And I didn't like that.

Tonight I started working on the boxes if Axel liked it or not. I had a flash light in one hand while I worked on two boxes with the other. It was a quick fix; a wire or two was out of place and needed to be reattached. I was done before midnight and headed back to my warm tent. I noticed a glowing light at our settlement. I stopped to let out a huff of air of frustration, I was tired and I knew Axel would want to talk, plus I didn't really want him to know I left to fix the boxes.

I walked past him as if he was nonexistent. "How did it go?" Axel said glancing up from a piece of rope he was tying into some type of fancy pattern.

"How did what go?" I answered.

"Oh gosh Casey, please don't play dumb with me. We both knew you were going back for those boxes. I'm not ignorant and your not exactly the most quiet when trying to sneak around." Axel was mad when he said this... Which I was expecting, his tone was angry but he seemed to almost laugh when he spoke.

We stood there for a secomd or two.

"Okay fine. Axel I'm sorry. Here's the thing I'm not the best at this whole liking someone thing," I said broken from my attitude.

His eyes got wide and his brow arched in surprise.

"Wait you like me?!" He said as if he discovered the cure to the 'Crimson plague'.

"Unfortunately..." My face turning red.

"Wow that's a bit of a plot twist for me," He said running his fingers throught his hair.

"I should probably go to sleep its late..." I said awkwardly, scratching a nonexistent itch on the back of my neck.

"Well your back safe and sound so I guess I can sleep too."

"Okay, don't turn my life into a chick flick now," I snarkily replied before going to bed.

~~~

I woke up to the smell of bacon.

wait, bacon?

I walked out of my humble tent and went to see what was cooking by the fire.

"Goodmorning," Axel said not even looking up at me.

"Morning," I greeted back.

"Is that bacon?!"

"Sure is."

"But how? There isn't really a grocery store close by you know?"

"I picked it up when I found a fridge amongst the rubble."

"Oh good thinking I must say."

"Thank you."

We ate like gods, well for being stuck on the middle of no where, with next to no cooking supplies.

"Thanks for breakfest Ax."

"My pleasure, did you get enough? I have some bread to make toast, we could probably find some eggs to scramble if you want?" Axel offered.

"I'm good."

"Casey can you do me a favor?"

"Yeah, I wouldn't mind doing anything for you after that breakfast." I answered.