I wasn't talking to you

Damian and his siblings were used to being kidnaped and held for ransom, they had all started tallying them up and whoever had the most at the end of the month got a prize. Therefore when they did get taken most just sat there and waited so Bruce didn't have to worry about something not going to plan well almost everyone.

Since Damian was the youngest he was the one who was most targeted and that was an issue for Bruce as he knows Damian would literally attack the criminal and put them into hospital and by doing this he would put his secret identity in danger of being found out, and no matter how many times Bruce talked to him about it he knew his son had trouble backing down from a fight and looking weak.

So he decided to take a different approach to the situation when Damian was suddenly abducted by the Riddler and was currently being held on a roof. When Bruce made it to the building still in his civilian identity he was quickly ushered a handheld microphone he then brought his gaze upwards to look at his son and the Riddler, he could see the frustration in Damian's eyes and he knew if he didn't do something soon then he would launch the Riddler straight of the roof in front of everyone.

There wasn't much he could say to prevent it so, he went with his gut.

"Please don't kill him"

The Riddler gave Bruce a smug look and pushed the gun forcibly into Damian's head

"That depends on if you deliver my money"

Bruce's gaze wavered over to Damian, his face was contorted into an evil glare but seemed to stay still, so far so good.

"I wasn't talking to you"

With this, the Riddler gave him a surprised look before he was quickly tackled from behind by the police who managed to sneak up while his attention was on Bruce, in the end, Damian was brought down to his father and still looked rather upset about the whole ordeal.

While in the car Bruce praised him on how well he kept his cool Damian with a poker face turned around and held his thumb and his index finger up, he held them so close that they were almost touching.

"I was this close to snapping his neck"