Part 1

There appears a partially constructed apartment, about as incomplete as it is new, sort of like an unfinished painting bound to be abandoned by its creator

            There appears a partially constructed apartment, about as incomplete as it is new, sort of like an unfinished painting bound to be abandoned by its creator. Standing in the open space, life feels ephemeral, a short-lived gem that is never meant to be permanent.

            22-year-old, Jubilee Abrams, is the previous resident. It is obvious that she was an amateur artist that splattered the intangible specks of her life around her without ever bothering to clean it all up. As hasty as she was, she created speckled carpets that were the outlines of her abstract design. An entropy of jonquil and zaffre bled through the baby blue shade of the worn-out mat, creating the mural for an ideal day.

            Despite the floors being scrubbed with soap and water—duties of maintenance—the paint-stained footprints are still visible; they lead the way to the kitchen, the effects of cramming in a midnight snack of pretzels and cottage cheese after a long day's worth of landscaping. Jubilee would then later turn on the television to some 90s soap opera and fall asleep on the sofa, muttering on about I Love Lucy.

            Her life constantly revolved around the sun-lit living room where she would paint and seldom the bedroom that she occasionally entered for a change of clothes. The glass walls that hug a section of the living room lead out into a secluded place otherwise known as the hidden balcony. The structure of the veranda is peculiar though interesting. Rather than taking in the skyline of the city, the force of peering into a grim alleyway knocks me over like a hurricane. Despite the balcony being a studious backdrop of the building, it seems as if sunlight would always center its focus there.

            A spotlight, a constant and loving reminder, that even the hidden concepts of this world, Jubilee Abrams included, have yet to shine.