Part 4

If life is a game of chess, I would be a pawn

            At least, it is what the fourth home reminds me of. It is a glamorous penthouse in the heart of a bustling metropolis, a luxurious convenience to the best academies, department stores, and hospitals in the region. At first glance, life seems idealistic and it's as if everything is comparable to fantasy rather than reality.

            An unwillingly familial reality, that is. Lawrence Hallow, Lady Hallow, and their daughter, Lilian Hallow are the previous owners of the house They were the successive heirs to a sophisticated conglomerate owned by Lilian's grandfather. This meant that their lives were set upon grand expectations, a strictly-defined agreement that they were to live with the reputation of a perfectionist.

            That explains the emptiness of the house. The family was never home. They lived for the public's attention and constantly promoted their benefits and well beings to others. Rather than their home being at an inconvenience, it was themselves that inconvenienced their home. It remained as a state of utter discomfort that they were forced to return to at the end of the day.

            The Hallow family had a large dining table despite there being three of them. It was never used unless a rare occasion of the chairman visiting. He had thin, blue eyes and stared at his son's family with disgrace. As if words and looks of negativity would make them any better than they were. In response, they cowered like Feudalism peasants, fearful but eager to join a line of self-made conservatives.

            The family was comparable to the animal kingdom. "Survival of the fittest," was their motto and they would do anything to bring each other down. If only it meant being the king of their own jungle. As each day passed by throwing daggers at one another, there was nothing left but hatred in their eyes and world domination in their minds.

            It is always said that you are your own ruination. For the Hallows, it all started with this house.