Part 6

If every building and every house in the world represented the cycle of life, my youth would be a rooftop house

            If every building and every house in the world represented the cycle of life, my youth would be a rooftop house. It makes sense when I look at the one in front of me. The outside patio is strung together by miniscule bulbs of light and the exterior of the house resembles a log cabin. It is similar to the peak of my young-adult years when my only way to surviving in society was taking the easy ways out. It wasn't that I minded being simple though; casual clothing is still my comfort and I haven't got out of my coupon-hunting phase.

            The previous conqueror of the place was Jamie Wing, another social butterfly from the cocoon of many. Her smile was as incandescent as the tea lights that surrounded her home and she was often the host of the many college parties that took place in the neighborhood. She was charming, intelligent, and full-time people person. If I ask anyone in the area what they know about Jamie Wing, their answers are as elaborate as book reviews. They all know too much.

            But do they really?

            Just like the inside of every hard shell, Jamie was softer. She was fragile and she was light-headed as if just poking at her nerves would immediately make her fall apart. But because no one knew the real Jamie to begin with, no one knew what to do with her at the end.

            Just like a vaguely emotional Tumblr post, Jamie Wing hid her pain through her smiles. She even laughed, danced, and sang as if she was performing a daily show. The reason why she had so many friends, went to outings, and committed to parties wasn't because procrastination was her drug. It was because she didn't want to be alone.

            Jamie Wing's outdoor and indoor personality is a love song for every person in their 20s. It isn't every day that life gives you a reason to smile. But if it is, its embers flicker out like the tea lights at night.