Part 8

Not all people have porcelain faces, take several thousand pictures of their restaurant-made food, and design their houses to fit an ideal instagram picture

            But then again, some people do.

            The following house was once owned by Joyce Walton, a trendsetter of the many styles of fashion, food etiquettes, and vines that one could find over social media. She was a previous ghost Youtuber, hiding under a steeply rising fame that many took a curiosity to. However, she soon revealed her identity at the peak of her career along with her values and judgments, making her as popular as several other Hollywood celebrities of the era.

            Fame did a lot for Miss Walton. It put her at an advantageous stake in life, especially with privilege. She was able to attend numerous events and have a say in the blogging business due to both connections and experience. Fame put her at a lot of disadvantage as well. There was a constant fear of getting thrown into scandals that were powerful enough to bring her whole career down. There was also an uncontrollable symptom of paranoia. Of cameras continuously clicking out of place and out of order, a hallucinatory withdrawal from press conferences.

            Like many influenced by criticism, Joyce aimed for being precisely equal to society's expectations. If people told her to dye her hair to the color of a flamingo, she would do it in a heartbeat. And if people told her to pour a bucket of ice-cold water on her head, she would do it without a doubt. For a long while, she was nothing more than a voodoo doll that consistently followed the orders it was given.

            Walking into the bathroom, my eyes land on the golden sinks. They are rusty, in need of repairs. They feel as scratchy as Joyce's throat did after she cried for long periods of time. Afterward, she wiped her tears and stood up to start another moment of living, not for herself, but for everyone else.