17. Listen To Your Friends (Declan McKenna)

Frank tapped in the code to his room. It was February 7th and Jamia was over the moon about Valentines Day coming up on the 14th. Frank, however, was positive that he couldn't care less. He pushed the door open, and headed straight for his bed, but stopped in his tracks when he saw a small red heart on his pillow, folded neatly from red paper with a short note on the top.

He picked up the small piece of paper, turning it over in his hands before unfolding it, flattening it against his thighs and holding it up again.

"Good Afternoon,
Look after me carefully, and I might just tell you who I am.
14/2/01"

Frank frowned, Reading over the note again. The soft, smooth cursive writing wasn't a hand he was familiar with, and he wracked his brain for who could have possibly gotten into his dorm to place the note on his bed.

"Hi Frankie." Gerard said, reaching out and touching Frank's shoulder lightly as he walked past, dropping his satchel onto his bed.

Frank jumped, looking up at Gerard with wide eyes and attempting to re-fold the red paper to hide away in his pocket.

"Whaddya got there?" Gerard asked, catching sight of the red thing in Frank's hands, no longer resembling a heart anymore.

"I- it's- I- nothing!" Frank said defensively, holding the paper close to him.

"Okay! Okay, I'm not gonna steal it off you." Gerard said, holding his hands up in mock surrender.

"It's a note," Frank sighed, caving as he sat down on the edge of his bed, "but I don't know how it got there, it was just on my pillow when I came in..."

"A note?" Gerard hummed, unpacking his bag onto his desk and turning back to face Frank.

"Yeah..." Frank mumbled unsurely, "you didn't put it there... did you?"

"Depends what it says-" Gerard smirked, before seeing Frank's worried and confused expression, "No I'm just kidding, it wasn't me, you know I've been out all day today like you."

Frank let out a short sigh, he had had a small hope that it had been Gerard who put the note there, but that hope was quickly crushed at Gerard's denial.

"What does it say though?" Gerard asked, sitting down next to Frank, his arm resting on the opposite side of Frank's body.

"Oh, it's this, kinda cryptic huh?" Frank gave a sharp laugh, unfolding the paper again and holding it out for Gerard to read.

"Seems like someone's working up to be your valentine, Frankie." Gerard chuckled, delicately taking the paper and lifting it up to read.

"Pfft, no, for me? Who would want me as a valentine?" Frank laughed, although Gerard heard the dark tone behind the light humour.

"Frank-"

"I'm just kidding! Just kidding." Frank quickly said, noticing Gerard's disapproval.

"Is this the only one you've got? Do you think you'll get any more?"

"Yes it's the only one I've got, and honestly? No I don't think I'll get any more but I don't know at the same time, because why would they put a date in the future on it if they weren't planning on giving me more?"