Chapter - 10

Third person

"Rafael!" Ilaria screamed as she knelt beside him.

Rebekah glared angrily at everyone she could as she tried to find out who had dared to hurt her son. Klaus grabbed her arm in an attempt to stop her from going there but she wrenched her arm out of his grip and tried to go forward again but was stopped again by Elijah and Kol.

"Just a few moments Rebekah, before Ilaria wakes Jacob up. Besides they have healers."

And true to Elijah's words some of the healers (the poisoners) and Ilaria were attempting to revive Jacob. Elijah guessed that Ilaria had posed as an elemental and healer with mild resistance to poisons. Some of the poisoners crowded around Jacob and said spells but Rafael wouldn't wake up.

As that was happening Ilaria had been on the floor, looking for something. She found it and examined it for a few moment sand then went into a room in the back. She reappeared a few minutes later carrying a small bowl of thick, green paste. She wormed her way through the crowd and with a spoon, she forced some of the paste into Jacob's mouth. She pressed a piece of paper into one of the healer's hands. The healer said a spell.

Jacob woke up just enough to swallow the paste. Ilaria had had knelt beside him and had placed hid head in her lap. When he woke up he said

"Izz..."

"How are you feeling?" Ilaria asked.

"Like I just got run over by a truck."

"Good."

"What?" He asked weakly.

"If you felt like you had just had your throat crushed while the rest of your body felt fine it would mean that you were still carrying poison in your body."

Jacob just nodded and tried to get up but failed to do so. He just got comfortable in Ilaria's lap and went to sleep.

Ilaria looked at Alejandro who came up to her and picked up Jacob and followed her to same room from where Ilaria had gotten the poison. Alejandro, unaccompanied by Ilaria, came back a moment later. He said

"Isabella said to tell everyone in this room who can comtribute to the battle in any way to be present in this room tomorrow at seven in the morning with or without weapons."

He made to go to the door but was stopped by Rebekah.

"What are Ja- Rafael and Isabella doing?"

"How is that your business, Mikaelson?" He said 'Mikaelson' with contempt.

"What're Rafael and Isabella doing?" She repeated with more force and compulsion. Elijah and Klaus glanced around thr room to make sure no one noticed. They were safe. The room was almost empty and even the people who were in the room were ignoring the Mikaelsons.

"Rafael is sleeping and Ilaria is making an antidote to wake Rafael up."

"If Ilaria isn't able to make the antidote, does that mean that Rafael won't wake up?"

"He will wake up. But he will wake up sooner if Ilaria gives him the antidote."

"Good. Now forget this conversation ever happened." Rebekah stopped using her compulsion.

Alejandro was in a daze for a moment. Then-

"Excuse me."

Rebekah stepped aside to let him pass and he hurried outside. Now they were really alone. There was no one in the room except them.

Rebekah started towards the room only to be stopped for the second time by Elijah and Kol.

Rebekah and Niklaus said at the same time.

"Let go of me!"

"Let go of her, brother."

She wrenched her arm out of their grip and started towards the room along with Niklaus. After a moment of hesitation they were followed by Elijah, Freya and Kol.

Inside the room they saw Rafael lying asleep on the bed and Ilaria crushing a few seeds with a pestle with her back turned towards them. There was silence for a moment after which Ilaria broke it.

"I have absolutely no idea as to who you are but please get the hell out of this room."

Rebekah tore her gaze from Jacob and asked "When will he wake up?"

Ilaria was extracting some sort of pus from a leaf as she answered "Four hours minimum and twelve hours maximum if I leave him the way he is. But if I give him the antidote, he should be up in a few moments."

She rummaged through a drawer for some moments and then pulled out a bottle of dried flower of Wallflower. She started to separate the petals.

"You could kill him if you got the antidote wrong." That was Freya.

"Only if I got the antidote wrong though." There was a pause "Have you ever worked with poison?"

Freya looked surprised at the question. "No. In New Orleans the only poison we can recognise by sight is Wolfsbane. And some can't even recognise that." She paused to let Ilaria giggle before continuing. "We use spells for the majority of our healings. Or specific non - poisonous plants. But that is very rarely."

Ilaria nodded once and then added poinsettia sap to the mixture. She set the small bowl she was making the poison in on the fireplace. She lit the fire with a flick of her wrist and then turned to Freya to give her, her full attention.

"While it is a bit riskier to use poisons to make antidotes the poison antidotes are much more effective than other types of antidotes. But they are dangerous. This room you are currently standing in, very few people have access to its' poisons because of the risk of death if they messed up the antidotes. Only six people use this room. Myself included. There is another room right next to this room where we keep non - poisonous plants which can be used to make antidotes. It's actually right through that door." She pointed to the a door on her right.

"Don't touch that." She added sharply to Kol who was about to touch some plant.

"And that plant is?" Elijah said in a questioning tone to Ilaria.

"Dieffenbachia genus. More commonly known as Dumbcase. In humans and witches it can cause intense burning, reddening of the skin and temporary immobilisation of the nose tongue and mouth. Werewolves use it to sooth any burns

they sustain while in vampires it causes full body paralysation for seven hours. There is an antidote but I'd rather not have to administer it."

As soon as she had finished her talk she pulled the bowl off the fire and then extinguished it. She let the mixture cool for twenty seconds. Twenty seconds which were spent in silence. Then she spooned out a bit of it and made as if to feed it to him but then she hesitated. She said

"Rafael will be... agitated after he wakes up. I doubt your presence will help. I think you should go."

Klaus nodded and the Mikaelson's walked out.

Rebekah's mind was now at ease seeing that her son was not going to die.

"We will joining in their war won't we?" Kol asked.

"Of course we will." Klaus replied. "Their wars are our wars."

Meanwhile in the poison room Jacob was awake.

"I feel like someone is pressing a hot poker to my right arm. I have a massive headache." he was saying.

Ilaria nodded and went outside. She came back ten minutes later with a horse. Her horse, Phoenix.

Rafael eyed her doubtfully but she just shrugged. "It'll be fine."

He climbed onto Phoenix and fell asleep while Ilaria led them out. Somewhere in the middle Alessio joined them.

'How strange.' Thought Elijah as he watched them. 'A sleeping boy on a horse, being led by a tribrid, being led by a wolf. Certainly strange.'