Chapter 13

Song: Heathens - Twenty One Pilots

*****

I didn't want to prepare. I wanted to curl up in a ball on my bed and cry. I didn't want to feel. But it didn't matter what I wanted. Because I couldn't sleep. I couldn't eat. And if today happened the way challenges do, either be dead, or knowing he wouldn't yield, I would end up killing my father. And that would render me dead inside, hating myself forever. Damn, reality sucks.

Another thing worried me. Nate and his sister's lives depended solely on my winning. I had no doubt my father would kill them if I lost. Then there was Aiden. My unwanted mate, that deep down I cared for, and couldn't let die.

I had fought my whole life, betas, gammas, regular wolves, and once, even an alpha, but I had no idea how to beat my father. A stronger alpha, and the person my life had been based on. I had learned everything from him. From memories of how he fought. From his journals of battle strategy. He was my Yoda.

I laughed humorlessly at the Kevlar suit they had given me. Claws can easily penetrate Kevlar. It was a really nice suit though.

It was two hours till sundown. I didn't want to say goodbye to Nate, for fear that I might back down if he got in my head. Instead, I had left a letter for him in Amara's care. If I died, he would get to know about the challenge, if not, I guess maybe, I'd never tell him. I know. It's a fucked up thing to do, but I'm nothing but a fucked up person. The person that everyone wanted to kill. Even her own father.

I was busy training Amara when I was summoned to the arena. I figured if I was gonna die, I might as well give her a way to survive.

I put on my suit and strapped on silver knives. There is nothing banned in a challenge. No matter what they have to do, if a single wolf can defeat an Alpha, whether with strength or wit, they are deemed good enough to be Alpha. Or in my case, rogue leader, Regent.

I stepped into the light. The entire rogue pack was there. My father requested the challenge to be a public thing. To have everyone see my defeat. 

The first face I recognized was Raiden. He smirked at me and I almost killed him right then there, but there's no guarantee the challenge would've gone through if I had. I flipped him off. Maybe I'd get to kill him later.

I heard the crowd roar as my father stepped into the arena. I walked up to him and stretched out my hand for him to shake. As far as I was concerned, we were acquaintances, not family. He shook it stiffly.

The challenge was to be fought in either form. My father shifted and I drew my knives. We circled each other for a while. One of the first things I learned is, never attack first. Defense is easier than offense, especially when fighting an opponent that's stronger.

He was in his wolf form, meaning his wolf was partially in control. His patience was limited, and I was counting on it. 

He attacked abruptly, but I had been expecting it. I ducked and slashed him across the stomach. I heard him growl, but I knew I hadn't done very much damage.

My father landed back on his feet. His eyes glittered with excitement. Most likely because he would get to kill me. 

He attacked again, but this time I wasn't prepared. I ducked, but he was basically waiting for me to do that. He slashed me in the stomach, and in order to heal, I had no choice but to shift.

Our wolves were the same size, but that didn't help my confidence much. We lunged at the same moment, both going for that throat. I moved away last second, I couldn't afford to die this soon.

I went after his legs, hoping to break them at the very least, but my dad guessed what I was going to do, and ran into me, knocking me off my feet. 

I fell backwards, not able to get ahold of my balance. I was pushing myself to my feet, when I felt my father's presence hovering over me. He held me down by the throat, and ripped apart my stomach, forcing my to shift back.

He shifted back, probably for the irony of me being beaten during his twisted version of a fair fight. "Dad, you don't want to kill me, I know you don't."

"You're right. I don't want to, but you've left me no choice. You wouldn't stay by my side. You didn't understand."

"I did understand. I just think it's wrong. You don't want to be responsible for the death of your last living family member."

I used the talking as a temporary distraction and knocked him off his feet. "Come on, Dad. If you yield, I can save everyone. No one has to die. Please."

"Never. I am not weak."

He brought out his claws and slashed the air where I had been a few seconds before. "Goddammit, Dad. I'm trying to help you."

"I don't want to kill my daughter. That's why I particularly requested you be left alive during the attack. I don't know your help. I need you to yield."

"You know I can't do that." It really hit me just then that he could've saved me from everything that happened while they were holding me captive, but he didn't do anything. And it hurt me.

"Then you understand my predicament."

He punched me in my already injured stomach, then in the face. He jerked my hair, and I fell backwards.

He was going to kill me. He raised his claws. "Daddy, please stop."

"I'm sorry, but we both know you'll never stop till I'm dead, and I need to fulfill my vision. I need you to know that. I love you."

And that last thing I heard was the crowd cheering as my father slashed his claws across my throat.

*******

This chapter is just depressing. 

Whadya think?

Vote 

Comment

Follow

~Chloe