Chapter 19

Song: Still Learning - Halsey

******

We started talking about troop formations in preparation for the attack. We already knew that rogues attack from the trees, behind bushes, and just generally from the shadows. They pick wolves off one by one until the pack's numbers are low enough that they are able to launch a forward attack. 

All we really had to do is set traps in the places they would try to lie in wait. 

But wolves who had always been in a part of a pack would never have been able to think of this plan. Guess my time as a rogue would prove useful after all. I know how they think. It's how I think. 

Pack wolves follow special battle plans and procedures. But rogues? They just fight. They fight the same way they live. Without rules. They fight to survive. The other's fight to win. When you have nothing to lose other than your life, you find that you will fight so much harder. It honestly shows how much you value your own life. 

Winning dirty is still winning all the same. 

And that is how I was going to train my pack to fight. We would be strong because we were different. The ways of the other packs or our past couldn't hold us back. 

We would be the strongest again. 

After I told Aiden what I had planned to do he granted me permission to put traps around his territory. If I hadn't asked him, some of his wolves could accidentally blow themselves up. Which would just be unfortunate. We need the numbers. 

I took a group of wolves with me to survey the area and find the best places to hide. 

Every time we stumbled across one, we set a trap. Aiden had given me the tools to set non-lethal traps. He automatically assumed that those were what I used. 

He had no idea how wrong he was. I went behind his back to Marcus and Jack. They gave me the supplies I needed to make sure the last things these rogues would ever feel are surprise and a fatal amount of pain. 

And I'm not going to lie, it made me feel good that Marcus was more like me than Aiden. Maybe there was hope for him yet. Let's just hope he survives. He could learn a thing or two from Aaron. 

I'm not gonna lie, some of the traps I set were vicious. I mean, a knife to the stomach? That shit hurts. 

Then, of course, poison. And my personal favorite, land mines. Nothing more satisfying than the ringing in your ears as your foe turns into a bloody rain when they step on your bomb. Sometimes they don't even find a finger. 

Not that anyone would be left to search for survivors. Oopsie, I guess. 

"Aaron, have you finished on the west side?"

"Yes, Em."

"Did you do it right?" I teased a bit. 

"You forget that I was a rogue for a while too."

I raised my eyebrows. "And what evil acts did you commit while you were a vile rogue?" I asked it in a joking manner.

"Well, for one, I almost killed Aiden's father. I was 13. I was still trying to find a pack and well, he snuck up on me. Luckily I didn't actually end up slitting his throat and I've been the Pack Warrior ever since. Until becoming Beta, I mean." Like, dang, boy, I was kidding. 

That's actually super impressive. He was only thirteen. "Who did you steal the position from?"

"The Gamma's mother, actually."

Finally, one female in Aiden's pack who doesn't act like a submissive mother-to-all or a slut. 

"She was weirdly happy for me. I think she was getting a bit old for it." I noticed how he kept saying was. Not is. I had a moment of silence for the woman before responding to Aaron. 

"That's interesting. But don't forget that they aren't your pack anymore. If it comes to it, they won't save you. They will save their own. You have to act the same way. Every pack for themself. You follow me. Never forget that."

We may not have been rogues anymore, but we still share the mentality. Together, but alone. We would betray anyone who doesn't bow to the same Alpha. 

It's surprising how much these thoughts annoy me. Packs talk so much about being there for each other, and stronger together, but the truth is, if they thought they would have the loyalty of other packs, Alpha would constantly be at each other's throats.

It's insatiable. The want, no. The need for more power as an Alpha. You have to have a good moral code in order to fight it. 

And good mental health. I'm not sure which my father lost first. It's obvious he was insane before the death of his mate since he was the one that caused it. 

Dammit. I need to stop thinking about him as my father. I need to stop thinking about him as anything other than an enemy. 

You know what? I'm just not gonna think about him at all. When the battle comes, I will be able to fight him. I have to. For my mother. For her memory. 

Because I don't have a dad. He died with the rest of my pack. I know that I can't reach his humanity. Last time I tried that, he almost killed me. 

I subconsciously raised my hand to my throat wincing at the memory of claws. For once I actually regretted killing anyone that way. I rarely let anyone die painlessly. 

Now that I've experienced it, I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone else, ever.

I heard a howl in the distance. I sniffed the air. My father was coming. I could feel him. 

 My senses tingled. My skin prickled with sensations that only came to me when my family is near. 

I unfroze myself from my thoughts. I shifted and ran back toward Aiden's pack. 

The fun has finally begun.

*****

3 chapters in one day? 

What!!!

I guess you all deserved it. 

I just really want to finish this book soon. 

Vote 

Comment

Follow

XX

~Chloexx919