Chapter 17 ~ School Shooting

Casey's POV

Sitting back watching Herrmann's reaction was classic. The way Brooklyn stood there with so much confidence made me smile.

"Wait Severide is your brother?" Herrmann said with confusion

"Yeah he is and none of you obviously have the guts to hide anything on Squad so I used my brain and thought. Now here I am dressed, my lock on my locker and about to eat breakfast." She replied with a massive smile on her face as she walked over to the fridge.

Just then the bells went off.

"Squad 3, Truck 81, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25, Engine 51, School shooting Western AV"

With that we a got up and took off towards the rigs. I slipped my boots off slipping on my turnout pants and grabbing my coat and hopping up into the front seat as everyone else got in. I then put my hand outside the window banging it a couple of times signalling to Otis to go.

Pulling out of the apparatus floor the cab of the truck is extremely quiet. I turn around to see Brooklyn on the verge of tears and taking deep breaths.

"Your OK Ziva?" I ask her concerned.

She shook her head a few tears escaping down her face leaving a wet line down her face. She continued to shake her head. Before I knew it, we were pulling up to the scene.

"You guys go. Find chief and Severide tell them where I am," I told the others.

I then got out of my seat and hopped into the back next to Brooklyn.

"Hey, look at me. What's going on?" I asked her trying to get her to tell me.

"My niece goes to school here. When I moved here, I started to babysit here when my sister was working. I still do it on my off days. She is my everything. I can't imagine having to tell my own sister her daughter was shot and killed. I just need to know she is ok." She told me the tears coming out faster.

"Hey Chief, it's Casey ah... how many are missing.?" I ask into my radio whilst rubbing small reassuring circles of her back whilst she buried her face in the side of my neck.

"Ahh... there are still a couple of classes still to be found. The shooter has not been located." He replied.

"OK thanks chief."

I then looked back down at Brooklyn who was still sobbing.

"OK look at me. We are going to get out. They will have all the kids lined up in classes, so we will go out and we will see if we can find her. If not, we will stay calm and wait until they find everyone. We will not be going in we are just here for crowd control Ok." I said to her, I then felt her nod against my neck.

Brooklyn's POV

When Casey told me, we would look together I felt a little bit better. I then got my phone out of my pocket and found a picture of her.

"Here is a picture of her. Her name if Lucy. We all call her Lou Lou. Ah... she is six." I told him handing him my phone before getting out.

He then put an arm around my shoulders before walking off towards the kids. We snaked up and down between the lines of classes. There were some big gaps between some lines probably where the missing classes went. I took a while to get through all of the kids before we got to the end.

"Are you sure she went to school today?" he asked me calmly.

"yes. That picture my sister sent me this morning she was so proud because she got to choose her own outfit, and she was so excited to show me. Her mother is in court today so she went to school." I told him with more tears.

"It's going to be ok; we will find her." He tried to reassure me.

We then went over to the front of the building as some kids came out. They were all too old to be Lou Lou. With that my heart rate increased. I turn around so my back is facing the door still Casey still has his arm around me. Then I hear:

"Aunt Brook" a little voice yelled. I then turned around to see Lou Lou running to me. I crouch down and open my arms and she runs straight into them. I give her a massive hug picking her up her little legs wrapping around my waist burring her face into my neck. I turn to look at Casey mouthing a thank you.