Chapter 20 ~ Start Of Something New

Brooklyn's POV

After hanging up on Casey I quickly told Kelly what had happened and we asked Connie to watch Lucy which she did happily. We then ran out and jumped into my jeep and drove off to the hospital. I think I was driving like a maniac because Kelly was hanging on with dear life but we both didn't care. Pulling in I park the car and we both run in. I am stopped by Casey and Kelly is stopped by Boden. As soon as he wraps his arms around me, I break down in tears.

"Hey look at me." He tells me

I look up at him still crying.

"she is going to be ok. A nurse will be out in a few minutes to tell us what is going on she is currently in surgery." He told me.

I just gave a little nod wrapping my arms around his waist. Somehow, I felt safe and comfortable in his arms. We then sat down and I laid my head on his shoulder then he wrapped an arm around my shoulders. Again, I slowly drift off to sleep feeling safe in Casey's arms.

3 hrs later I am nudged awake. I woke up and saw a nurse standing there I stood up and faced her.

"I'm so sorry we did everything we could. Brinley lost to much blood and we were unable to revive her. I will give you some time." The nurse told us.

When she told us, what had happened it felt like I had been stabbed. I could not believe it. My sister is gone. I was scared to tell her this morning in Lucy died in that school and now I have to tell my six-year-old niece that her mother is dead. Hearing that I broke down into tears falling to the ground. I just let my self go.

5 months later

Let's see where I'm at. I am now basically a mother now. Lucy's father signed over his parental rights so I am now looking after Lucy with the help of Kelly and Casey. I have got to say Lucy loves Casey they bonded so quickly. He would spend some nights over and pick her up from school. About a week after Brinley's death we had her funeral. Lucy didn't understand much but she did get that her mum had left and she was not coming back.

Casey and I have started to get closer with him spending some nights. Sometimes I struggle with the death of my sister and Casey is able to help. I have been with the CFD for 5 months now and everyone has accepted me and made me feel so welcome. I and probably the happiest I have been in the past couple of years. Apart from my sister's death.

One night I was sitting in the couch with Lucy watching Christopher Robin whilst eating popcorn. I then hear some knock on the door. I get up off the couch and walk over to the door opening it to see Casey standing there in a suit.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" I ask a little confused about why he is here.

"Ahh... OK well, I'm going to tell you something. Just let me get through it all before you say anything. Ok?" he told me nervously.

"OK," I answered still confused.

"Ok, here it goes. The first day I met you obviously was not my best day, but I still had this feeling. That night after shift when I got drunk and I asked you to stay with me in bed after I had thrown up was because I liked you. And then that night I came over when you went to get you things and we fell asleep on the couch it felt right. It felt good to sleep next to you. And that tie in my office when you were with your niece I looked at you and thought 'wow you're going to make a great mother' and you did. All the times I've come over to help I have had to hold back from telling you how I really feel. The truth is I really, really like you. If you don't feel that way just say the word and I will back off." He said standing nervously.

"Casey... I really like you too I just didn't want to say anything you know it has not been that long since you and Gabby ended. I just didn't want to force anything." I said to him

With that, he shortened the distance between us leaning forward and kissing me softly but still nervously, and I kissed him back. We then stood back and smiled at each other.

"You want to come in?"

"Yeah sure." He replied smile still on his face.

With that, he walked in and sat down on the couch next to each other and continued to watch the movie. I snuggled into Matt's side and Lucy snuggled into my side. This was the start of something new.