Chapter 29: Surprise!

Monday.

This Monday I had one goal in mind, avoid Rachel. No Rachel no Abigail, no Abigail no Demons, no Demons no trouble. Easy peasy.

I hope.

I checked my time and found out my classes would be starting soon and walking 45 minutes to school was not an option. I set my lip in a thin line as I thought of what to do.

Quickly, I rushed into the bathroom. I could not go to school without bathing. It makes me self conscious.

Ten minutes later I threw a knitted cardigan over my head which contained multiple colors then I wore leggings with some runners.

Without much time to loose I scanned myself in the mirror.

My hair.

I scowled. What was I supposed to do with my bush of a hair? 30 more minutes to go. I took a comb and combed it out making it full and puffy. Then I ran downstairs and spotted Mordecai almost out of the house.

"Wait! Mordecai, Good Morning. Abeg take me to school. I'm almost... " I checked my watch " 29 minutes to go!"

"Morning, " muttered Mordecai "have you had breakfast? "

His American accent was fluent and strong as if he'd been here his whole life. I squinted my eyes but didn't say a thing. I would raise the issue some other time. Right now I had 28 minutes to go.

"No. I have not. But I can't. I'm almost late na. "

He didn't budge. This boy sef. He wants to start! He will make me late!

"Okay, okay, I will eat.... Later. Please naaah!! "

27 more minutes.

"Fine. Hop on" he muttered

I got to school. And I was late.

The insults couldn't stop flying out of my mouth. Of course I blamed him. I wouldn't blame myself. Since I was late for first period, I didn't bother heading to that class and risk the looks of disgust. I headed to the library to study a little, maybe get a few formulas in my rock hard head. After my study session I headed to my next class. I will not lie and tell you that I didn't get a few shoves here and there on that day, but I lived.

In my next class I sat near the window because I knew the class would be boring and if I needed to tune out it would be easy. I couldn't listen to the voice of Mr Connaway, the Australian teacher all day long, even if it was only forty minutes. But this class got surprisingly interesting.

"Be quiet everyone, " Mr Connaway's squeaky voice sounded. Honestly, to listen to him was tiring. "Settle down" he said. His narrow eyes glared at everyone before they relaxed and he started chatting happily.

"I have a surprise for you all!" He chirped and clasped his hands tightly in front of him.

Is the surprise about you being fired?

The man looked so harmless, with his thin and tiny structure but he was evil I tell you. Evil! How could one tiny man contain so much evil in his shinkele body?

"Now go on, guess" he urged us with a sweet smile. I narrowed my eyes at him then stopped paying attention just to look outside.

Nobody guessed.

He sighed, " you all are no fun, " he stomped his foot. And yes, this was a full grown man in his early forties. "The surprise is a test!" He said gleefully.