Chapter One

My dreams of becoming a ballerina spawned from something more far of than seeing one, but living with one. My mother Grace Rosewall  stood in front of many crowds and made them all sigh and swoon, she was more than graceful, more than beauty, she was indescribable. I knew in my heart that one day I would be as talented as she was, my mother never ever pushed me or encouraged my intrest, she if anything wanted me to be anything but. It was only slightly disputing, it never broke my spirit though, it drove me to practice harder, longer, because in the end my mother had been born with it and I had to work twice as hard to be just as good and ten times harder to be better.
           "Lynn, breakfast" my dad called. Leaning forward, I dabbed my make up around my eyes, looking back I knew the reflection in the mirror was one of my mothers, from my crisp gray eyes, my sharp nose even my thin lips, my round face however was a feature all my own that I hated. My golden locks fell longer then they had in two years, for the play I was currently in , all the way to my waist, and they still added extension. I was beautiful in a sense of the word my outer appearance was nothing to be denied and yet, I was never beautiful enough, and with that came the make up that I caked on my face.
         Getting up, from my vanity, I grab my gym bag and take the stairs down. "Good Morning, Ms. Carrel" said Dylan, the live in house keep. "Good Morning, Dylan" I said, passing him. My father was already seated at the long twelve sitting table that he kept in the dining room. Maddie came by pouring me tea and placing a plate of fruit in front of me. "Thank you, Maddie" I smiled, grateful. Flapping down the top of the paper he looks at me, "You look stunning, Darling". "Thank you, Dad" I said, pushing the fruit on my plate. He was quiet for a second, only looking at me, pressing his lips tight together, "Laker". I cringed looking at him, "Father". "Okay, eat something at least, don't want you blowing away" I hated when my father called me Laker, it was his one hold on my name to a boy. My father never complained that I was a girl, but between all the Soft ball, Volleyball, Basketball, and Soccer  I was certain a girl wasn't  his first choice.
      Eating a few bites, I got up went  over and kissed his cheek, "I love you, Dad. Have a good day". "You to, Lynn" he didn't move his eyes off the paper. Walking down the hall, out the door the rough smell of New York hit me in the chest. Putting on my head phones I walked the ten block from my house to the studio. It only seemed like a lot, but I couldn't afford to gain any weight, at all. Between my extremely strict diet and workout plan, you would think it was easy, but I just gained weight from breathing around bread. Inhauling and exhaling caused these unexpected pounds.
     "Lynn, fancy running into you here" Kasey was a dear friend of mine one who was constant rival and honestly I think thats why I liked her so. Her cards showed face up nothing sneaky. "Just practicing for tonight" I said taking out both headphones. "Your last show right, any more offers?" Kasey genuinely cared about me and I knew that, but I hesitated to tell anyone about my resent offer. I only shake my head. "Well don't be down your a great dancer and so young!" "Not that young, what about you I saw you in The Joy". A shy blush sprinkled to her cheeks, Kasey was super humble when not on stage. "Yeah, it wasn't the lead, how awesome you always play the lead" she touched my shoulder. "You still had two solos, not many people even get solos unless they are the leads". "I know, but I never know if my dad is paying or not I mean, Lacy was in another play, as the second lead and well you know" Kasey older Sister Lacy had no talent at all. It was a known fact that second lead could be sold to the highest bidder, but the Main character made the show and no director would  jeopardize the integrity of the play for money, not with their name on the line.
         "Your father just wants to help her achieve her dreams" I try. "All the classes didn't do the trick I doubt, this is going to really help" she gave a thoughtful face, before smiling and waving, walking past me.

           Opening my eyes the light, is shining bright in my eyes, dipping down slowly I watch the curtain close, let out a deep breath, because I was going to have to eat half a bag a donuts. As we all reassemble back on stage I linked arms with the male lead, Mark, smiling brights at him. "You did amazing" he said kissing my cheek. "You too" I whispered, as someone else took my other arm. The curtain open again and I smiled, hard ignoring the bright and flashing lights, there was flowers being thrown, as we did a group bow. The writer came out and the crowd cheered even louder, taking  my arm I stayed link with Mark. As we went to closer. Taking a curtsey, with them. I felt Mark let go and both men and point to me and I took my last bow on that stage for the night. The curtains closed and  the darkness made it fuzzy.
      "That's a wrap, everyone!" Called the stage manger. A round of applause went around the stage, going to my changing room I began to take off all the costume, and slide into my dark leggings and peach colored blouse, slipping on my gold sandals, i loose my hair and it skips down my back landing flat. I look in the mirror for only a second considering taking of my make up, but it wasn't so upscale I couldn't pull off I decided.
    Opening my dressing room door my dad help a dozen yellow roses. I only smiled, wrapping my arms around him, squeezing gently, "A work of art, Lynn" he says patting my back. Letting him go, I take the flowers, my dad after my mothers final show would always brought her a dozen red roses. For me he bought a dozen Yellow roses, except for my very first show, they bought me pink.
       "Come on, lets get dinner. Your choice, of course" dad said, taking my bag.
          Cutting my salmon, I smiled softly, as some people eyed me and whispered. Either fans of mine or fans of my mother who figured she could never be truly dead. Her death had been put on a very need to know basis for a while I was not allowed to tell a single person, except my therapist.
        For almost about four years no one knew until one day, I was reading in a tabloid, seeing her face on the front page of newspapers, the tragedy, devastation  in the arts community was great, and everyone question how no one knew and it was very simple. My dad paid a high price for silence, he said it was so I could grieve properly, and after we buried her I was never allowed to go back to the sight so I mourn properly.  I knew that my dad took the lost of my mother deeply deeper than anyone who ever knew her did.
       "Going to take a bit of a break?" My dad asked. "I'm at my peak, dad" I say. "Lake- Lynn your only twently-three sweetie. Your far from your peak, but maybe we could go on a vacation, until you next show" he said calmly. "I actually have an offer for a clothing line" I said, even calmer knowing where this was going. He signed, "Laklynn, I need to tell you something" he said putting down his knife and fork, sitting back, he took the napkin from his lap, dabbing his forehead. "I don't want to talk about it" I said this, and took a big bite of the fish, bigger then I should of in that. "Laklynn, I'm getting married". The words didn't process immediately, but when they did I coughed holding my throat, spraying food back onto the plate. "Laklynn!" My father was up in action, but soon I was only holding my throat hoping that I died and never had to read about it anywhere.
       As my vision went hazy, someone grabbed me and pulled me close in their big strong arms almost something like a grizzle bear, and before everything went dark. My head fell back looking at him, his dark eyes seemed so serious so scary, but so big and full of wonder.