Chapter 5

Jordan

When Jonah left the room, I grabbed the bowl of rapidly cooling soup back off the ground. Dipping the provided spoon into the liquid, I lifted it up to my mouth, sipping the small portion into my mouth.

Immediately tasting how cold the soup had gone, I placed the spoon in the bowl and set it on the ground, highly reluctant to finish its contents. Not even contemplating whether to consume the contents of the glass, I laid my head down on the bed, facing the concrete wall next to me.

Hearing yelling from somewhere above me, I sat back up, heading for the glass, I sculled the water down and threw the glass to the ground with as much force as I could muster. Trying my best to make out the muffled words, I realised that it had gone silent.

Pulling out a tucked in piece of my top, I ripped it off, tucking it back in to disguise the tear. Taking the torn off piece of fabric, I picked out the biggest, sharpest shard of the shattered glass, kicking the rest of the shrapnel under the bed.

I sat down on the side of the bed, the shard in my hands behind my back, as the door unlocked and swung open. Realising that it wasn't Jonah, I panicked and buried the shard under a folded piece of the blanket.

"Hurry the fuck up! I'm not fucking waiting forever!" Clearly agitated by something, presumably the argument I could hear before, I didn't even consider arguing. I stood up and hurried over to grab the clothes out of his hand.

"Could you please step out whilst I change?" My voice effortlessly, but unexpectedly, quiet in attempt to not agitate him further.

"Fine! If you aren't knocking on that fucking door in two minutes, I'm coming in either way!" His voice cold and bitter as he unnecessarily raised it for the words that rolled off his tongue. Quickly he turned around and slammed the door shut behind him, before I even had the chance to say anything else.

Realising that the time was ticking before he walked back in, I hurriedly changed into the cream knit-sweater and black tights. Slipping on the brown, flat ankle boots, I readjusted my hair into a messy bun before stepping towards the door.

As I was about to knock to let him know I'm done, he swung the door open, almost knocking me over with the force. Pain radiating through my shoulder, where the door had made contact, I didn't say a word as I handed him the folded-up clothes that I had previously been wearing.

Turning around, no words exchanged between us, he slammed the door shut again before, presumably, walking off. Once I was certain that he's gone, I headed back over to the bed and unfolded the blanket.

Carefully picking up the broken shard of glass, I glanced back down to see the ripped piece of fabric. Fuck. I could only hope that they didn't find out before I had the chance to act.

***

It had been around four hours since the last time anyone came into the room and I was positive that someone was going to be coming down soon. I grabbed the piece of glass in my hand, the fabric being wrapped around it again to protect my skin.

Hearing the door unlock, I startled and dropped the piece of glass, kicking it under the bed before turning around and facing the door as it swung open. Rocking back and forth from my heels to my toes, my hands behind my back, I watched as Jonah walked into the room.

"What the fuck are you up to?!" I stopped rocking hearing his words boom through the room. Realising that I didn't look innocent in any way at all, I immediately apologised and made up an excuse as I tucked an unruly strand of my hair behind my ear.

"You better not be fucking lying." His voice was much calmer as he looked at me. His eyes. Those fucking eyes are too warm for this man.

"Here take this." He throws something at me, and I immediately attempt to catch it before it falls on the ground. Taking a closer look at what he had thrown, I found a small gold chain with a golden blue bird charm dangling from it.