A Talk of the Past

We were sitting at a table, enjoying some Sylph food when I took a good look at Kirito. He had the black get-up I remember along with a one-handed sword and that pixie on his shoulder... Narrowing my eyes, I looked at her face and nearly gasped. This... this is the real Kirito!

Averting my gaze to the wine in my cup, I smirked and took a sip. "Pst, Cookie."

"Yes, Daddy?" She flew up to my shoulder.

"I think I know who those two are looking for at the top of the World Tree." I pointed at Kirito and Yui.

"And who would that be? King Oberon?"

I shook my head. "Nope. I think it's an SAO Survivor. Don't know who, though."

"Oh. Well then. Do you... plan on helping him?"

I smirked and looked up to see the rest of the group having a good time. "I plan on prying the truth from him. Then I'll decide."

Cookie nodded, then checked the progress of the Sylph-Cat Sith alliance. "Okay, Daddy. Anyways, the Sylphs are slowly closing in on the meeting as are the Cat Sith."

"We still on track?"

"No. We need to get moving."

I sighed, grabbing the party's attention. Leafa tilted her head and shifted her position in her chair.

"Eagle? Is something wrong?"

"Stream, Ice, we need to get a move on. Remember the meeting we have in a couple of days?"

"Oh, right." They stood up and got their gear ready.

Leafa stood up to grab my wrist. "Wait... Is it... okay if we, uh...?"

I looked around and saw no one but NPCs. "Join us? Sure. It'd also help strengthen ties."

Kirito, Yui, and Leafa tilted their heads at the same time. "'Strengthen ties'? What do you mean?"

I realized what I just said. "Uh, I'll explain on the way, but we should log out for now."

Accepting my offer, they began to log out and once in the real world, I simply cleaned myself up. Drifting to sleep on my bed, I started to dream about that Sylph girl, but I suddenly sat up.

"Right, practice."

Grabbing the two steel swords I always kept near me IRL, I brought them in their sheathes onto my back and walked outside. Standing in my yard, I took a deep breath and drew my blades.

"Hmm, these are getting pretty light. Might be time to try and get a new pair."

Shaking my head, I got into the Holy Blades stance and calmed my mind. Imagining Heathcliff before me, I bared my teeth and began my assault. Not letting my blades pause once, I kept slashing at my invisible foe. Right diagonal to the bottom-left, left diagonal to the bottom-right, switch sword hands, both straight up, left block, right arm back, duck, right stab, leap back, return to stance.

Gotta go faster!

Right stab, left stab, both to the bottom-right, both to the top-left, cross blades, shove up, right to the top-left, left to the middle-right, left to the top-left, right to the top-right, cross diagonal, both stab, pull out from the side, leap back, return to stance.

Damn, this is tiring.

Closing my eyes, I remembered the motions of Starburst Stream and when I opened my eyes, I realized I had gone through the exact motions. Twirling my blades into my sheaths, I walked over to the water faucet located outside my family's house. Splashing water onto my face, I looked up when I heard feet pounding on the sidewalk.

Seeing Suguha Kirigaya with her kendo blade slung over her shoulder, I stood up straight and gave her a wave while taking off my swords. "Hey, Sugu!"

"Hi, Cardinal!" She waved back and then raised an eyebrow at my twin swords. "Are those...?"

"Metal swords? Yep. I may be psychologically skilled with two blades, but that doesn't mean my arms are. So, wanna spar?" I pointed at her blade.

"Nah, not now. Say, you fought alongside my brother, Kazuto, in SAO, right?"

I scratched the back of my neck. "Once or twice." More like I accidentally attacked him once, then slowly grew to be good friends.

She sat down on the front steps. "What... was he like?"

I sat next to her. "Hmm, let's see... He was quiet, collected, and quite skilled. But he could be quite rude without realizing it."

Sugu sweatdropped. "That sounds like him, alright."

I laughed. "I kinda liked it, actually. Brought me back from several pits of despair, trust me."

She turned to look at me. "What?"

I shook my head. "Nothing. Say, how've you two been getting along?"

She started to swing her feet back and forth. "Okay, I guess. He's going through a hard time now."

I raised my eyebrow. "He's going through a hard time? What are you talking about?"

Sugu gazed at her now still feet. "... Asuna's going away. Somewhere he can't reach."

I couldn't help but bolt to my feet. "What?!"

Sugu continued to look at the dirt. "Apparently, some man's going to marry her."

My fists started to clench. "Who?"

"I'm not sure, but I think his name was Sugou Nobuyuki. He works at RECT, I think f-"

"He works for their research department." Shadows had covered my face.

Sugu grew confused and wary at this side I haven't shown anyone ever since it developed in SAO. "C-Cardinal?"

"I think I know what's going on here."

"Huh?"

I looked at Sugu. "I'm sorry, but I've got something to do. I'll be diving, now."

Sugu tilted her head. "Wait, you dive?"

"Yep. Into the one world I know best."

Sugu waited for my next words.

"A...L...O."

Sugu's eyes widened. "Wait, you play ALO?!"

I nodded. "Yes. If you play, too, then go home, log in, and find a player by the name of..."

Sugu slowly got up and watched as I picked up my swords and placed them on my back.

"... Eagle."

She let out a loud gasp, causing me to turn. "What's wrong, Sugu?"

"No way, it can't be!"

"Huh?"

She tried to say something else, before running off towards her home. Still confused, I watched her fade into the soft snowfall before I turned around and headed inside. Plonking down on my bed, I folded my hands before me and pondered.

Maybe I shouldn't dive. I wonder what got Sugu so worked up?

Laying down, I closed my eyes and drifted to sleep.