III

"Agent Killjoy, sir?" The radio boy asked, the patch on his jacket read 'Dolman'. His big blue doe eyes made him look perpetually afraid. Colonel Moore handed the receiver back to him and shook his head. A hardened look of war made Moore look terrifying, but he had a heart of gold.
"Doesn't exist. Alert HQ now."
"Yes sir." Dolman stated strongly. Despite being just a kid, he was hell of a good soldier. You know the type, young and proud and eager to please. When he tuned into HQ's frequency, his already lifted stature visibly tensed.

"Moore! Colonel Moore do you read?!" A rough angry voice came through.

"Colonel, the General." Dolman stated quickly shoving the receiver into Moore's hands. Moore gave him a confused and irritated look, yanking the receiver from Dolmans trembling hands.  
A look of disbelief curtained his face.
"God dammit Moore I was startin' to think you were dead or somethin'... Listen, Operation Killjoy has been engaged. Over"
"Operation Killjoy, sir?" Moore mumbled.
"Yes dumbass! It's not a joke or a threat, agent Killjoy is on her way now, about 90 minutes out. Over."
"Yes, Sir. Over and out." Moore said professionally. He couldn't hide the uncertainty on his face.

Silence fell over the surrounding soldiers. They all stood or sat around the base, smoking or tending to wounds. They watched Moore expectantly.

"Men. We have a situation." Moore stated, he looked calm but his eyes were anxious.
"Operation Killjoy is in effect. Watch the surrounding perimeter for anything suspicious."
The men nodded, grabbing their rifles and moving to the perimeter. They didn't know exactly what operation Killjoy was, but they were too tired to care. VC had been coming in waves all day, however it was silent and the sun was nearly set, so they were in no hurry.

Moore stood and stared out into the sky, a hardened look of concern on his face. He didn't trust this at all. His dark blue eyes were strained with war, and death. His salt and pepper hair mingled with the scruff on his face making him look pretty rough. Uniform, dirty, as expected. He was your standard looking colonel, only this one had seen too much shit to know that this Killjoy operation? This was bad news.

~

"Colonel!" A soldier called out,
"Sniper has been spotted!"
"What?!" Moore snapped. It had been about an hour of stale silence when a figure was spotted nonchalantly strolling over a hill in the distance. There was a clear outline of a sniper barrel protruding from the left shoulder of the figure when it stopped walking. A dim light illuminated them from behind, they were completely still now. For a moment an eerie standoff settled in the air. The unmoving person seemed so out of place on the hillside.
Suddenly a bright, blinding red light from the figure illuminated the hills beyond the soldiers, unveiling a terrifying secret. About a hundred Vietminh soldiers were crouched down surrounding the base, just hidden a few feet away in the dark.. Gunshots rang off immediately, the flashes of fire blinding everyone. Two Americans fell immediately, causing a momentary panic. However, within the chaos something was off, the Vietminh didn't ambush the base camp. It was clear to see the flashes of fire illuminating the hillside, but few shot up at the soldiers on base. A familiar sound of an automatic weapon stood out the most. At the bottom of the hill was the continuous flashing of an automatic, moving steadily forward as it dipped and turned. Less and less, until finally, all ceased. The soldiers stood at the ready, confused, baffled even, and most of all scared. They were silent, watching intently for any sign of movement.

"Howdy boys."