VII

A faint whistle sounded from the west of base, down in the hills.
It sounded like the first half of 'Dixie'

"What was that?" Hernandez whispered. Killjoy glared out towards where the whistle came from.
"Stay here. If something happens when I leave, shoot anything that moves. Spread out quickly, stay low." She quickly explained, readying her rifle in her arms.
"Are you sure?" Barney asked stupidly. He immediately shook his head and waved his hand dismissively. Killjoy ignored him.

She turned and stalked toward the western side of base, a cold look in her eyes. The dense jungle tree line bordered this side of base, making it impossible to see out into the field. She was trembling again. She slowly stepped into the field, whatever light there was immediately faded and she was shrouded in darkness. The whistle sounded once more, a bit louder now. Killjoy shook her head, confused for a moment.

"Oh shi-" BANG.
A bullet just scrapped the skin of her shoulder. She hissed as she dropped to her knee, waiting.
Three more shots rang out, flying over her head. Realizing they couldn't see in the dark after all, took the chance to move to the side, back into a field of corpses.
As she lowered to the ground she could just barely see the silhouettes of six or seven VC soldiers, moving silently toward the west side of base. The whistling sounded once again, from behind the soldiers, they all froze with their guns at the ready.
Killjoy whistled back, and watched as the VC now aimed toward her.
They waited a moment before moving forward again, silent as they come. From where Killjoy sat she could see their silhouettes hesitate, they looked as if they were talking to each other but their voices were too low to hear.
Killjoy pulled the sniper rifle around to her front, adjusting the night vision light on the scope. Her hands trembled the more she moved. The VC soldiers started to move again, but Killjoy had already adjusted into position.
Seven targets.
She scanned the tree line and saw Moore and Elroy kneeling at the tree line. They saw the VC as well, but Elroy's face made panic rise in her stomach. He was going to get himself killed.

'Idiots. All of them.'

The click of the safety on her rifle was muffled as she aimed at the head of the seventh solider. It wouldn't be easy, but it could work as long as the muffler didn't flash, which means she would have to wait at least two minutes before firing again. That same cold look in her eyes was back, and the trembling of her hands made her aiming rough.

"Why are humans afraid of the dark?"

She breathed out through her mouth and squeezed the trigger.

Thump.

'One...two...three...'

Another whistle sounded, it seemed so taunting now, she aimed and squeezed out another shot, taking out the sixth. She quickly realized she didn't have two minutes between every shot. The soldiers didn't notice their comrades had been killed as they were too focused on their target. Impressive, nonetheless.

BANG BANG BANG.
The sound of a hand gun echoed off of the hills and made her jaw ache.
It was Elroy.
One VC fell, leaving three to turn and unload on the tree line. Yelling came from the top of the hill as Barney and Hernandez finally lost their patience.

Surprisingly calm, Killjoy just watched through her scope as the soldiers marched up to the tree line, Elroy had been hit in the right shoulder and arm. Moore held steady as Elroy struggled to stay quiet, they were cornered up against a tree.

"Like babies to wolves."

Three targets, one sniper. Killjoy loaded a bullet and aimed at the man that was closest to the tree Moore and Elroy were behind.

Thump.

There was no time to let the barrel cool, or care about the muffler flash. With a sudden realization, she unscrewed the muffler in a haste, letting the white hot metal burn her skin.
Two more, they whirled around in a panic.

Thump.

The sniper let out a loud boom that echoed off the mountains and trees. She could hear the cavalrymen rise up in a panic, and glanced up to see the dumbasses standing around the perimeter of the base.

One.
He ran into the tree line, tripping over Moore's leg, but scrambling and running quickly.

Silence.

Killjoy whistled the familiar tune of 'dixie' and two people at once returned the sound.

'They're all so clueless'