VI

The flare ignited, revealing a dozen or so VC soldiers creeping up the hill. The rain of artillery must have startled most of them as they retreated soon after the flare went out. The red haze was gone now, but the look on Killjoys face was easy to see.

"Glasses, check the resting. Muscles, Barney, Moore, patrol the perimeter. Whistle if you find something, don't shoot." She ordered off, putting emphasis on the 'don't shoot' part as she looked harshly at Vinny. With a little dismissive swirl of her finger they went off.

Now it was just her, and Hernandez. He was a regular guy, a bit shorter than the rest. He looked troubled, nervous.
"Hey, what's your name soldier." Killjoy asked softly, glancing over at him as she tried to strike a match for a half broken off cigarette.
"Joseph Hernandez, sir- I mean ma'am." He responded, his voice was uneven as if he had been crying. With the dim light of the embers burning it was hard to tell if he was or just nervous.
"Ugh, what is it with you boys? Just say Killjoy for fucks sake." She strained as she finally got the cigarette to light.
"Yes, uh, okay." He stuttered, his frame shrinking slightly as he faced away from her. She sighed and walked over to him, grabbing his shoulder and handing him what was left of her cigarette.
"Don't let this shit get in your head, Hernandez. You and your brothers are going home." She said with more sympathy than he had expected, which somehow made it worse. He sobbed silently, his body trembling as she patted his shoulder.
Just then Vinny returned,
"Holy shit is he hurt??" He nearly screeched. Killjoy snapped toward with a knife to his throat, he fell back against a tree, swallowing loudly as the knife pressed against his Adam's apple.

"You're the worst one of them all. Loud, reckless, stupid. How are you still alive huh? Do any of you have a fucking clue as to what you're up against?? If one more boy comes out here like that I'll kill them myself, got it?" She seethed, nearly cutting into his skin. He nodded quickly, and when she loosened up he immediately scrambled away from her.

"What'd poor Vinny do?" Barney asked, leaning his arm on her shoulder. She reached up into his shirt pocket and pulled a cigarette out of it.
"All of you are idiots."

Lighting it she took a long drag as she looked out into the dense jungle that surrounded the back perimeter of base.
"Where the fuck is Moore and muscles??" She questioned, facing him. He just shrugged.
He fucking shrugged.
A look of outraged confusion came over her as she turned and marched back to the ember flame. No where to be seen.

"Fuck."