VIII

"You, are the stupidest individual I have ever met." Killjoy snapped as she held her finger in the bullet wound on Elroy's shoulder. He grunted in pain before scoffing.
"Really?" She tested, pulling her finger out quickly and pressing a cotton pad against it harshly. He groaned out and grabbed her wrist but she shook him off with a frustrated sigh,
"Hold still asshole."
Other than Elroy's arm, and the gash on killjoys shoulder, everyone was fine.
Killjoy's hands shook violently as she patched Elroy's arm.
"Don't pull shit like that, will ya?" She said softly. Elroy looked up at her, her eyes weren't cold anymore, she was trembling.
He simply nodded. Her presence seemed to take an emotional toll on most of the men now. Her empathy did not go unnoticed.

"Killjoy, take a break." Moore laid his hand on her shoulder, pulling her to her feet.
She walked away without even looking him in the eye. Barney followed her out to the center of base, sitting next to her on one of the first aid cases. She just stared out into the darkness.

He lit a cigarette and gave it to her, nudging her bloody shoulder.
"It's just going to get worse." She mumbled, taking the cigarette.
"Men are going to die, a lot of them. They're ignorant. Trigger happy." She rambled off. Barney kept quiet, pulling alcohol and cotton out of a first aid pack that laid on the ground.
"It's like they don't know their left from ri-" she hissed in pain and snapped around to see that Barney was cleaning her shoulder that was skimmed. Clotted blood broke around the alcohol and the gash bled freely down her arm.

"You're not so invincible yourself you know." He said, not bothering to meet her eyes. He began to wrap gauze around her arm.
"Your 'lonely hero' act will only get you so far with those guys." Barney patted her shoulder, and moved to stand but hesitated,
"You weren't always so calm in the face of death, were you?"

~

Killjoy sat leaning her elbows on her knees, smoking her cigarette. Barney, lanky blonde brown eyed handsome Barney, had the big bad Killjoy on edge.
He saw the way her hands trembled when she picked up a gun. He heard the worry in her voice when she yelled at others. He could see where it hid.

"Agent Killjoy." Moore stood a few feet away from her, she was so deep in thought that she didn't even notice him approach her.
"You alright?" He asked, sitting next to her. She shrugged.
"You?"
Moore nodded.
"I'm going to pray, I wanted you to come with me." He said expectantly. Killjoy just looked at him, an unreadable look in her eyes.

"I'll stay here. Tell god I said hi."

Her voice was cold, but Moore just nodded as if he understood and walked away.
It was hard to keep faith in a time like this. As a person like Killjoy, outcasted and thrown into a terror infested jungle expected to save a fucking country. Of course she could do it, that's what she was made for.

She sighed through her nose, finishing her cigarette, and stomping it out on the ground.

"One day, you'll be in the dark too."