this just got really deep really fast

NICK

"Come on, Spellman," I said. "We deserve this after crushing our scene together in class today."

"You're right," she said, sighing. "I need to lighten up a little."

I saw her fidget with her hand and look down at her feet, tell-tale signs of hers that show she's still pretty torn up about something. In this case, that something being her and Harvey's breakup.

"How are you holding up?" I asked.

"I'm alright," she said. "I guess."

As we sat down, I noticed Sabrina's entire body tense up in a matter of seconds. Do I really make her that uncomfortable?

"Sabrina?" I asked. "Are you alright."

She tried to open her mouth to speak, but no words came out.

I turned around to see what she was looking at - and low and behold. It's fucking Harry.

And he was with another girl.

"What the hell is he doing here?" I asked.

"I don't know," she said, solemnly.

"Do you know who he's with?" I asked.

"Yeah," she sighed. "That's my best friend from my old school, Roz."

"Oh," I said. "Maybe they're just here as friends."

Seconds later, I felt like eating my words. Roz reached across the table and held Harvey's hand while they gazed into each other's eyes and laughed.

Oh shit.

"Okay," I backtracked. "Maybe not..."

Sabrina's facial expressions were consumed by shock. The poor thing only got dumped a few days ago.

Leave it to fucking Harry to get a rebound insanely quickly. I knew I never liked him for a good reason.

"I can't believe he's moved on so quickly," she sighed. "And with my best friend."

Yeah, there's not really anything I can say to make that better... That's one tough situation.

Sabrina's face fell even further than it had before, and I could see that same gleam of pain in her eyes that was there right after they'd broken up. Oh man, she really got attached.

"I'm sorry, Spellman," I said. "For all of the mindless, insensitive comments I'd ever made about your relationship with Harry and bashing it. I guess I had never realized until now that you really did care a lot about him."

"Cared?" Sabrina scoffed. "Caring is an understatement. I loved him, Nick. I loved him with my whole heart."

The way she emphasized love, I just couldn't understand it. Love is basically an imaginary concept in my mind.

"Well," I said. "Maybe it's time that you talk to him."

"I can't," she said. "I'd break. There's not much to talk about. I'm still in love with him and he wants nothing to do with me."

"I guess that shows that now may be the time to let him go," I said, knowing that I had to tread lightly over this topic.

"Honestly," Sabrina said. "You're right. I do need to let him go. Dreaming of him changing his mind and realizing how much he loves me just isn't realistic. No matter how much I hope or pray or wish for him to love me again, I know the odds just aren't in my favor. I wish there was just something I could do or say to finally let me be at peace with all of this."