0.2

june 6, 1985
everybody was ecstatic. school was out, and summer had officially begun. will, however, wasn't as excited as everybody else. mike had already made it clear that he wanted to do something other than sitting in his basement, playing d&d everyday. just because you have a girlfriend now doesn't mean you own the show, dickhead.

eleven, at first, hadn't seen what everybody was so excited for. once mike had excitedly explained that they had around two months off school (to her, around six-zero days). once she understood, she was extremely happy—she had excitedly thrown her arms around mike's shoulders—and immediately started making plans, mainly with mike and max—who she had bonded with very well, despite the rocky beginning of their friendship.

after school, dustin was quick to dismiss himself from the group, and headed off to that one icecream place in the new mall where steve worked. apparently they were friends now or something.

lucas and max were next to leave, making mike snicker a quiet, "probably gone off to suck face somewhere." will gave a slight eyeroll. stop acting like you and eleven don't do that every day. el glanced at mike, obviously confused about what the phrase meant. he just gave her a slight look, and waved his hand—a movement that will understood well. 'i'll tell you later.'

"oh!" el suddenly exclaimed, looking at something behind will. "dad is here. he said he'd take me for eggos and icecream after school—he even promised he'd get off work early for me!" she exclaimed excitedly. "see you guys later!" she kissed mike's cheek, then gave will a quick, one-arm-around-the-shoulder hug before hurrying off to the chief's car.

"so," mike started, watching as the chief drove off. "wanna hang?"

"sure." will shrugged. "got nothing better to do."

mike laughed and lightly punched will's shoulder. "c'mon, you love hanging out with me."

will chewed his lip. "sure do!" he said happily, though, on the inside, his nerves were chewing through his stomach. the crush had been getting worse over the past few months.

"your house or mine?" mike asked, walking in the direction of will's house, anyway.

"mine, i guess," will chuckled, walking alongside mike. will stared down at their hands, which ever-so-slightly brushed every once in a while, causing will's cheeks to become a light pink hue. i wish i could just hold his hand.

"how are you doing?" mike asked out of the blue, turning to look at the much shorter boy.

"huh?"

"y'know. after all... that. i don't know, i guess you've been seeming kinda down lately. that's all." mike watched will carefully, eyes friendly, face relaxed.

"i'm fine," will said, rather curtly. "completely fine. that's all done. all behind us. finished."

"but we don't know that."

"mike, el closed the gate. there's no way that anything can come back. it's fine." will looked right into mike's eyes, trying to reassure the taller boy.

"but you don't know that, will," mike tried again.

"mike! look, it's gone. let's not think about it. if it ever comes back, then we talk about it. i just want to forget about it." drop the subject!

both boys knew that they wouldn't be forgetting anytime soon.

mike ended up staying the night, which will felt a slight comfort in. both his mom and jonathan were working late—his mom probably not getting back until early morning.

at some point during the night, will had had a nightmare, causing him to wake up with a cold sweat, tears beginning to slip from his eyes. the events of the previous two years played through his mind, and eventually, he was full out sobbing.

he ended up waking mike up, and he mentally cursed himself for it. will was utterly embarrassed, and despite telling mike to just leave him alone multiple times, mike came up and sat beside will, wrapping his long arms around the small boy's body.

will pressed his face against mike's shoulder, feeling safe in his warm arms.

safe for the first time in a long while.

( AUTHORS NOTE! )
i forgot to publish this wtf 🥵

 ( 22 april // 3:33pm )