1.8

may 26, 1986
it had been a whole three months since will's birthday and will didn't know if him and mike could even be considered friends anymore.

mike was changing. that had been clear since last year, but in the past two months, mike had been changing really fast. he was such an asshole now, treating people like shit for no apparent reason. he still had stupid adelaide glued to his side. will was sure that she was half the problem.

mike's fashion style had changed. he wore duller colours and plainer clothes. he stopped wearing the bright coloured polo shirts and switched them for black or white t-shirts. how bland. he was growing his hair out, too. it was messier and getting curlier. will actually liked it. he thought it was cute. as cute as mike could get, nowadays, anyway.

will's appearance also had changed. his clothing style, not so much. he still wore his colourful clothes and stripey t-shirts. but will had recently had a haircut, getting rid of his hideous bowl cut. his mom was hesitant at first, but in the end agreed to let him have it now he desired.

will looked at the phone on the wall, considering whether to grab it and call the wheeler residence. call mike. actually hang out with mike for the first time in, like, four months.

will picked up and dialled the number he knew oh-so-well. the phone was ringing for a long time, and will was convinced that nobody was going to answer.

"hello?"

will felt his heart in his throat. it was him. it was mike. he hadn't talked to this boy in so long and will's feelings were just rushing over him from hearing one simple word.

"hi, mike," will said, trying to get the shake out of his voice.

"will?" it sounded like mike was anxious, scared, even. maybe it was just a bad connection manipulating mike's voice.

"that's me." will let out a humourless laugh.

"is everything okay?" mike asked slowly.

"yeah, everything's fine. i just... was wondering if you wanted to hang out? we haven't hung out in such a long time and i, uh, i miss hanging out with my best friend." will shrugged even though mike couldn't see it.

"uhm, well, y-yeah, sure!" a pause. "um, where do you want to hang out?"

"one of our houses? like always?" will questioned. mike was acting very strange and he didn't know why.

"yeah, of course. sorry." a long pause again. will wasn't sure why mike was apologising. "can i come to yours?"

"a-huh," will hummed. "yup."

"okay... well, awesome! when can i come?" mike asked.

"whenever you want. now?" will suggested.

"okay! yeah! uh, i'll come now." mike was acting so much different than he usually did. he seemed almost... awkward?

"see you soon," will said, but mike had already hung up. will place the phone back on the wall, feeling extremely confused. he shrugged it off and quickly gave the house a small tidy-up.

ten minutes later, there was knocking on the front door. will stood up from where he was sitting on the sofa in the living room and headed to the front door, opening it to reveal mike.

"hi," mike breathed out.

"hi." will moved out of the way so mike could come inside. the taller boy did so, looking around before settling his eyes on will.

"your hair," mike said simply, reaching out to softly touch it. will tried not to blush as he felt mike's fingers gently touching his hair. "when did you change it?"