1.2

—mike's pov.

july 21, 1985
"what do you need, el?" mike asked, feeling worried and somewhat annoyed. el had called him early in the morning, around eight o'clock, declaring that they needed to talk about something.

"we need to talk," she said.

"we established that over the phone." an icy tone was in his voice. he didn't know why he was feeling mad around el recently.

"this!" el suddenly snapped. "this is why i called you over! i am sick of you acting so bitchy towards me! i am tired of you calling me annoying and bratty and making me feel like shit."

"i act bitchy towards you?" mike snapped, getting worked up. he only called el annoying because she was being annoying. he only called her bratty because she was acting like a brat. "you bitch to me about all of my friends, and you call me the bitchy one?"

"yes! you bitch to me about will this and will that! don't you get that i don't want to hear it?"

"god, we're back to talking about will! why do you hate him so much? he did nothing to you."

"he is too perfect! everybody loves him! you love him. more than you love me." el was close to tears.

"what are you talking about? i love him as a friend. i love you as my girlfriend. there is a big fucking difference."

"no! no! you don't even see it for yourself, yet!" a tear slipped from el's eye. "you love will. more than a friend. you just don't even realise it yourself yet."

"have you gone mental? i am straight. he is straight. we are friends." mike was angry. el had lost it. she'd gone mental.

"you don't love me," el spat. "you have not kissed me for weeks. you have been acting so mean to me for months. if you loved me you would kiss me and hug me and do nice things for me."

"of course i love you! you're my girlfriend, i'm your boyfriend! we love each other!" mike was getting worried now. he could see where this argument was going. he didn't want to break up with her.

el laughed humourlessly. "you're my boyfriend? then start acting like it."

"o-okay!" he stuttered. "i will! let's go on a date. right now."

"no!" el shook her head. "i didn't seriously mean it. we are done."

"wh-what?" mike felt his heart drop.

"we are over. done." she sighed. "i am breaking up with you!"

"no, el, please, i'm sorry."

"no, mike. that's it. we are done. you treat me like shit. i should've done this a long time ago." she was angrily glaring at him.

"el, no, please," mike pleaded. "i love you." he didn't love el. he fell out of love with el a long time ago. he supposed he only stayed with her after that because he felt like he needed to be loved by a girl. because nobody else liked him like that.

"stop lying to yourself." she didn't remove her icy glare from him. "you do not love me."

"i do! i swear, i do!" mike wasn't sad. he was more angry than anything.

el shook her head. "even if you did, i wouldn't want to stay with you. you are mean to me."

"okay. fine. i'm mean? fine, maybe i am. but compared to every other guy in this shitty town, i am one of the better few. don't come crawling back to me when you try to find somebody new, but you just simply can't because i'm the only guy in this stupid town that actually likes you! the only guy that doesn't think you're a fucking weirdo!"

el's face fell. "wh-what?"

"yeah! they all think that you're weird. i mean, you're a girl that turned up out of nowhere with a shaved head and barely speaks proper english!"

"it is my fault that i am 'weird'? well, i am so sorry that i got stolen from my mother as a baby. i am so sorry that i unwillingly got my head shaved. i am so sorry that papa did not send me to a proper school, or bother to teach me english that well!" el's nose was starting to bleed. mike felt his eyes widen. he made a mistake. a big fucking mistake. "i am so fucking sorry for not being born into a normal stupid family like you."

"el, i didn't-" things were falling from shelves as el seemed to be trying to contain her power.

"and you wonder why the party is falling apart! it's because of you. you are being an asshole to everyone. you never warmed up to max that much, you called will out, which upset will, obviously, and dustin, too. now me! you fucked things up between us—all because... well, i do not even know! because why not? because you want to grow up?"

mike couldn't respond. el was right. mike was too caught up pretending to be in love to see that he was fucking everything else up.

"fuck you, jane." that was all he could manage to say. all he could do was insult el and call her by the name on her birth certificate—the name that she refused to be called.

that seemed to send el over the edge. she was already fuming, now she looked furious as she glared at mike before snapping her head up, pain flaring up in mike's wrist at the same time.

el looked down at his wrist. mike looked down at the same time. it was bent in an awkward position, sore as hell. "mike—i am so sorry. i did not mean to go that fa-"

"fuck!" he cried out. "you're crazy!"

"i am so sorry. i-i was... i got too angry." she was crying now. "mike i am so sorry."

"you just broke my fucking wrist!" he clenched his teeth together at the horrible pain.

"i-i know. i—maybe you should go." her lower lip was trembling.

"yeah, i think i fucking should, too!" he turned and stormed out of her room and her house, tears finally falling from his eyes. el was right.

he fucked everything up.

author's note
haha...now that's what i call a 'break' up...hahaha...get it?

11:13am — 04 november 2019