1.1

july 09, 1985
"will, honey, i have something to tell you," joyce announced, sitting down at the dining table. confused, will sat down opposite her and waited for her to continue. "i have a boyfriend," she said.

"you do?" will asked, genuine surprise on his face. "how long for?"

"since february." she looked guilty.

"and i didn't know?" will didn't sound angry, only confused. "does jonathan know?"

"yes. i told him when we got together."

"why didn't you tell me?" will asked, confused. "for that long?"

"i thought it might be kind of awkward for you, considering who my boyfriend is," she explained.

"who is it?" will really wanted to know.

"hopper," she answered.

"h-hopper? as in chief hopper? eleven's dad?"

"yes. that's why i refrained from telling you. it's one of your friend's dad. i thought you might find it a little bit awkward."

m-hm. 'friend.' she actually doesn't like me, mom. "does el know?"

"i think hopper told her a couple days ago." she paused. "god, you don't mind, do you? we really like each other."

"no, no. i don't mind at all." if his mom was happy, then will would get over it. he just wanted his mom happy. she deserved it. "i'm glad you're happy."

july 16, 1985
will sat awkwardly at the dinner table. the hopper and byers family were out having dinner together. joyce and hopper decided it would be a good idea now that all of the kids knew about them dating.

will was sitting beside eleven, jonathan beside their mom and hopper was at the head of the table.

jonathan was talking to hopper and their mom, while will and el sat quietly beside each other. el had her fists clenched beneath the table and she looked like she was concentrating very hard.

"i am going outside for some fresh air," she suddenly announced, abruptly standing up and walking towards the exit.

jonathan caught will's eye. will was confused, until jonathan looked to the door, then back at will. will understood and let out a silent sigh. "i'm going out for some air, too. i'll be back soon."

he stood up and walked outside, looking around for el. he finally spotted her and headed over to her. "el?" he asked. she turned her head.

"will," she said. "what are you doing here?"

"i came to find you," he responded.

"why?"

will ignored her question and hesitantly changed the subject. "why do you hate me?"

"i do not hate you," she stated. "hate is too strong of a word."

"fine. why do you dislike me?" he asked.

"because you like mike," she said simply. "or, well, that's why i used to dislike you. i don't care anymore."

"i don't like mike..." will lied.

"but that is not the issue." she completely ignored what he said. "i think he is starting to like you, too. that is what is annoying me. because... because you like him and you are just too perfect and so much better than me, so obviously he is going to get over me and like you. everybody likes you, not everybody likes me."

"that isn't true."

"yes it is. it is clear that you do not like me. even mike and me are starting to argue."

"you are?"

"yes. he calls me annoying and bratty. he always gets mad at me whenever i even mention you. when we had that fight last month he took at least a week to come apologise to me. on july fourth he apologised to you right away and then continued for the next two days. he cares more about you than he does me." el looked like she was close to tears.

"i don't even care that you like him anymore." she hung her head down. "it's just... i don't like seeing him fall for somebody else while we are still together."

"he doesn't like me, el. not like that."

"but he does! don't you see? he gets defensive over you, but never any of our other friends. he cares about you more than anyone else. on july fourth, when him and i went back to his house, he cried. he cried because of what he did. because he was scared that he lost you."

"mike is not gay," will said, watching el carefully. "not like me." it was clear el already knew it. he supposed she may as well just hear it from him.

"mike is a shitty boyfriend. to me, at least." she sighed, ignoring what will had said. "maybe i will break up with him."

"do what you think is best for you, el." will was not convinced by what el had said. mike just loved him as a best friend. nothing more. mike didn't like will back.

"i am sorry," el said. "i was a bitch to you, all because i was jealous. then i stopped being jealous, but now mike likes you and i got jealous again, but now i don't care. i am so sorry that i acted like a bitch towards you."

"i don't care," will said.

"will you forgive me?" she asked.

"maybe."

author's note
jopper rights
also el really be spilling the tea huh
not proofread as always

1:53pm — 02 november 2019