The Quidditch World Cup

The next day, we traveled into the
woods, following the lantern-lit trail to the Quidditch World Cup. There were thousands of people, everyone was giddy with excitement. Children were skipping along the trail, there were shouts of laughter and even people singing the Irish or Bulgarian national anthem. I myself was supporting Bulgaria, I had since they got Viktor Krum as their Seeker. Although my father was supporting Ireland.

We walked through the forest for about twenty minutes before spotting the massive stadium. It's walls were pure gold, and the stadium could seat a hundred thousand.

"How do they keep the Muggles away?"I asked.

"They have Muggle-Repelling Charms surrounding the whole perimeter of it," my father said."It took all year for five hundred Ministry workers to build it."

We went the to the entrance, where it was chaos of people desperately trying to get in. We finally got our tickets checked by the Ministry witch at the booth, we got the Middle Box, where we would get an amazing view of the match.

The stairs were carpeted with purple, the railings were also gold, which made the stairs look magnificent. Really, everywhere you went in this stadium, there was gold.

How rich do have to be... I thought to myself.

We finally got sitting down in our seats, and I could see in the distance a giant backboard, with gold writing appearing and then disappearing. I was flashing advertisements like:

The Bluebottle: A Broom for All the Family- safe, reliable and with In-built Anti-Burglar Buzzer...

Mrs Skower's All-Purpose Magical Mess-Remover: No Pain, No Stain! ...

Gladrags Wizardwear - London, Paris, Hogsmeade ...

By now I was getting bored watching the advertisements, they just kept repeating the same ones over and over again. Witches and wizards were still filing in to get their seats, a half hour had passed now and I was getting a bit impatient.

I was tapping my foot lightly on the floor until a mans voice roared all over the stadium, which made me jump. The chatter of voices throughout the Box instantly grew quiet.

"Ladies and gentlemen ... welcome! Welcome to the final of the four hundred and twenty-second Quidditch World Cup!"

Everyone cheered and clapped, waving flags over their heads. The advertisement on the blackboard vanished, and it now showed BULGARIA: ZERO, IRELAND: ZERO.

"And now, without further ado, allow me to introduce ... the Bulgarian Team Mascots!"

"It will be exciting to see what they've brought this year!" father said. Then he gasped rather suddenly, and sat up straight in his seat. "They brought Veela!"

A hundred Veela were gliding onto the pitch now, their moon-bright skin and shiny pale blonde hair were glistening in the sunlight. The majority of wizards around us were mesmerised be these beautiful non-human woman. I looked away quickly before the music started playing, so that I wouldn't fall under their spell.

Because I already had a beautiful girl in my life, she was Cho Chang. She was absolutely perfect, and she belonged to me. The Veela can go back to Bulgaria, their beauty is nothing in comparison to the the beauty of my Cho.

"And now, kindly put your wands in the air ... for the Irish National Team Mascots!"

Suddenly a green and gold comet come flying into the stadium, it did a circuit once around the perimeter of the stadium. Then, it burst into two comets, each one zoomed towards the goal posts. A rainbow arched over the stadium.The rainbow then faded, and the comets formed a shamrock up in the sky. If you looked closely, you could actually see that the shamrock was composed of leprechauns. Golden coins were raining down from the shamrock.

Everyone clapped and cheered, some desperately trying to clutch some golden coins into their possession. But, knowing the mischievous personality of leprechauns, they were disappearing coins. After the show ended, the leprechauns took their place and sat cross-legged at the end of the pitch opposite the Veela.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, kindly welcome - the Bulgarian National Quidditch Team! I give you - Dimitrov!"

The Bulgarian supporters cheered when Dimitrov flew onto the pitch on his broomstick.

"Ivanova! Zograf! Levski! Vulchanov! Volkov! Aaaaaaaaaand - Krum!"

"Ha! You won't win this time boys!" my father jeered.

"And now, please greet - the Irish National Team!" The commentator yelled. "Presenting- Connelly! Ryan! Troy! Mullet! Moran! Quigley! Aaaaaaaand - Lynch!"

Seven wizards clothed in green robes flew out onto the pitch, with Irish supporters cheering them on.

"And here, all the way from Egypt, our referee, acclaimed Chair-wizard of the International Association of Quidditch, Hassan Mostafa!"

A short, bald wizard came onto the pitch. He had a moustache, and he wore golden robes to match with the stadium.
He had a whistle in his mouth, and carried with him a large wooden crate and his broomstick. Mostafa set the broomstick and wooden crate on the ground. He opened up the crate, and suddenly the Quaffle, two Bludgers and the Golden snitch shot into the air. Then Mostafa blew his whistle, and flew up into the air after the four balls.

"Theeeeeeeeey're OFF!" The commentator shouted. "And it's Mullet! Troy! Moran! Dimitrov! Back to Mullet! Troy! Levski! Moran!"

It was so exciting, watching the intense match. You saw flashes of scarlet and green, right before they disappeared, like bolts of lightning. Talk of this game would last all year.