Chapter 27: I wish

I'm praying that my conversation with Riley goes well. I really don't want to miss Farkle's birthday just because Riley and I are not on good term, but maybe this is good for us. I really want it to be, maybe this is the first step that'll help us fix whatever is going on between the both of us. It has to be, we eventually have to make up, she's my best friends after all, I can't lose her and I'm going to do everything I can to make sure I won't.

I climb up the fire escape of her building and glance at her window once I make it there. It's already open and she's sitting down at the bay window looking at something in her room. From the way she's sitting and not doing anything I can tell she's been waiting for me.

I slowly climb through her window and sit down on my usual spot, on her right side. She turns to look at me and purses her lips. "Hey" I say softly and she just nods to show me that's she acknowledged what I said. "Okay" I sigh glancing down at my fingers and bite my lip thinking of a way to resolve this whole situation.

"How about I talk first and say what I need to say and then you talk, and we'll go from there?" I suggest looking back up at the brunette. "Ok" she simply says. I take a deep breath and shift my whole body so I'm facing her. "I know you're mad and disappointed that I'm dating Josh. I know you thought I'd never set myself up for a guy that has a bad reputation and is only known for messing with girl's emotions and just want them physically and all, but I never did. Riley, I know myself and I know that I can't handle getting my heart broken or letting someone play with my emotions. If Josh was really the guy you think he is, a selfish, reckless jerk, I obviously would've never considered dating him" I confess.

"However, after getting to know the real him, the guy who helped from almost getting raped, the guy who protected me from Mason every day, the guy who made sure I was always okay. He's one of the most caring person I've ever met. I spent a lot of time with him Riley, I freaking have to see him every day and as each day went by I got to know him a little better and I realise he isn't who we think he is. And you know damn well, I don't trust people easily or befriend them or anything. You think it's all an act but if it really is, he wouldn't of been able to last this long" I shake my head.

"He wouldn't be able to look at me with his blue eyes sparkling with joy, he wouldn't be able to look at me as lovingly as he does. His eyes wouldn't light up every damn time they landed on me. You can't possibly tell me that's an act" I say desperately "I know you're worried about me and I really appreciate that but it's my decision to date who I want" I remind her "And anyways he's a Matthews, from all my years with you guys, a Matthews can never be bad, he's your family Riles" I point out.

"That's all I have to say" I say holding my hands up, showing her that I'm done.

She moves her body to face me, doing exactly what I did and takes a deep breath before talking. "I know he's family and I know what I said about him was rude and completely out of line. I do feel terrible for everything I said about him but I was scared and I didn't know what do to" she argues "My best friend decided to go out with my uncle who's known to be a horrible person, I felt like if you heard the words come out of my mouth about how bad he is, you'd realise that I was right, but you never did" she whispers the last part.

"The more we fought about him, the more I realised how determined you were to show everyone he wasn't bad. I couldn't understand why you were suddenly so attached to him and it took me hours to try and comprehend why you'd defend him against me. For some reason my mind just didn't want to accept that my uncle wasn't bad, so I went to my dad and asked about Josh" she smiles a little.

"You should've seen the way he spoke about his little brother. He had that big smile he has when he talks about something he loves, the one he has when he talks or even thinks about mashed potatoes" I chuckle "He was happy and he told me a bunch of stories about how Josh was as a kid and the more he talked, I couldn't help but realise that it completely matched everything you said about him. I argued with myself for hours, debating whether it was actually possible for you to change him back but the only way I can get a real answer is to speak with him, not you" I nod slowly.