Chapter Six Secrets Part One

Adrien's POV

I sat silently, staring my father dead in the eye from across his desk.

I knew what this was about, I knew that Natalie had told him about my relationship with Mari. I should have been scared, but I couldn't find it within myself to care.

The mere thought of going against my father for her had me brimming with confidence, something that was usually lost to me in these situations.

So we started at one another, our faces mirroring each other.

I could see Natalie out of the corner of my eye, staring at me. I could practically feel the smugness in her look even though her face was blank. I fought the urge to roll my eyes.

Finally, after was seemed like an eternity, my father spoke. "Natalie tells me that you've defied my wishes and went and got yourself a girlfriend, " he says. His voice was copied and sharp, telling me that he would not be tolerating any excuses. I rolled my shoulders back

"Yes, I did Father, " I answer him directly. He narrowed his eyes at the confirmation.

"Why Adrien?" he asks.

"Because it was my decision." My answers were short and clipped, making sure that I didn't say too much.

"That isn't an answer Adrien. I had thought that you were content to obey my wishes, but this is the first time that you choose to defy me. So I will ask again, why?" she said, his face not betraying any of his emotions.

"Because I love her and she loves me, Father." He just looks at me with disappointment in his eyes.

"Adrien, you know that if this got out it would ruin your career, correct?" he asks.

"My career doesn't concern me," I tell him. "What is most important to me is my girlfriend."

"And who is this girlfriend of yours?"

"She's the winner of Miraculous Records singing contest. Marinette D.C." My fathers mask falls and a surprised expression takes its place. Natalie's smug expression turns to one of disbelief and I take silent satisfaction of her change in attitude.

"I've seen her debut concert. She seems to be a very photogenic person, " he says. I raise an eyebrow.

"What do you mean by that Father?" I ask.

"I mean that she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable in the spotlight, but that's not important. What is important is when you are planning to reveal your relationship to the public."

"We haven't talked about it yet, " I say honestly.

"Good, " he says. "Because if you were to reveal it now, it would paint her as a manipulative gold digger before she even had a chance to establish herself."

I slumped in the chair. He was completely right.

It wasn't about me and my career that we had to worry about anymore. Mari is in the middle of preparing to kickstart hers soon, and if it did get out that we were dating before she won the contest, then rumors would start about her true personality before she had time to establish it.

"Adrien, I'm not going to make you break up with her, " I look at my father with surprise. "But I am going to put some rules in place. You must keep your relationship a secret, at least until in the eye of the public you've spent enough time together to warrant an actual relationship."

As much as I didn't want to admit it, this would be the best course of action for now. Mari still had to make her own niche in the world of celebrities and I couldn't jeopardize that. Not when she was just getting her confidence back.