~Part 16~

The city had given a new definition to advanced. Well, it brought the definition from the years before the country was infected. The cities used to be tall and shiny and beautiful until they were wiped out and became run down and dusty if not burnt down or destroyed. “Wow.” Gale said gaping.

The city looked like New York City in the year of 3000 when it was at its highest point of success ever. All until it came crumbling down. This city almost made a tear come to my eye. I thought I’d never see a city like this in my lifetime. Maybe in my child’s generation or my grand kids generation, but never in mine.

Gale and I stood looking up at the city for a good 10 minutes until he spoke up. “We should find a place to sleep, and something to eat.” He lightly touched my stomach. “It’s crucial.” He reach out and took my hand as we headed down the main street.

I hadn’t even noticed the huge concrete gate shutting even though it was enormously loud. We walked down the road looking at the shops. If there were just other people here, it would be just like it was before the sickness. But that wasn’t the case. We were here alone. Looking at all these abandoned shops and stores.

“Here.” Gale said, pulling me into a very small shop with a green door.

A little bell above the door dinged as Gale opened it. He immediately let go of my hand and walked to shelves stocked with canned foods. I went to a counter where a dusty register stood. On the back of it there was a green sticker with the words ‘Shelly’s Canned Goods!’ printed on it. My throat got dry as I thought of all the poor souls that were so close. So close to what America used to be.

In the years before the sickness came, one of Americas allies leaked information about a nuke bombing. America prepared and tried to keep as many people safe as possible. They issued and emergency evacuation of the entire West coast because that’s the direction they believed it would come from. The bomb landed on the coast of California. Everyone huddled together for safety on the East coast expecting to be blown to bits if it really was nuclear. After a week, 50 brave American troops volunteered to go check out the site. In 3 days, Washington heard back from them. The bomb had landed off the coast of Miami, thankfully not detonating. The troops tried to defuse it, only to make it explode. Thankfully it wasn’t nuclear, but it did send a huge portion of California about 1000 meters under they ocean. The next day, our president, James Marklin, gave his final speech saying he would do whatever it took to get California back to the way it was.

After the president was killed in the attack that brought the sickness, that became the motto of all the colonies that were set up. ‘We will do whatever it takes to return America to what it once was’. Every colony had those words sewn into the back of their American flag.

Gale took a can off the shelf and tossed it to me. “Here, General Officer Kerleen (girls general officer) said these don’t expire.” 

The cans didn’t have a label on them, but I didn’t question Gale. I opened it and pulled out the small orange fruit. “What are these?” I ask slowly.

“Peaches!” he said as he tips the can back and slurps them down.

“Um, I’m pretty sure these can expire.” I smell them slowly.

“Taste fine to me!” he opens another can and tips it back. “But then again, I’m starving.”

I was hungry too, and even though I’ve never really liked peaches, I knew my baby needed food, and so did I. I tip the can back and let the juicy fruits fall into my mouth. It might just be the starvation talking, but this time, they were amazing. I like my lips and go for another can. Gale eats 5 cans while I swallow down 6, an extra one for my baby.

“Guess we better get back on the move.” Gale said, picking up a small potato sack he’d filled with cans. He looked out the glass door at the city and just stared at it for a second.

“Hey Gale...?” I say wonderingly. “How comes you haven’t really said anything about this city? You’ve been really quiet, and it’s almost like we’re in 3013 New York.” I sigh, “It’s… beautiful.”

“I know it’s beautiful. And we should savor our time here.” He says quietly.

I almost choke on my last can of peaches. “What do you mean ‘savor our time here’? You don’t plan on leaving… do you?”

“Vala, we can’t stay here.” He looks at me surprised. “How can you have that baby with no help? You need check ups and special foods and vitamins.” He says, OBVIOUSLY not knowing what he’s talking about.

“Gale, where do you suspect we go?”

“I don’t know!” he runs his hands through his hair in frustration. “I don’t know.” He goes over and slides down the wall with his elbows on his knees and his hands on his forehead.

I crawl over to him slowly and lean against the wall next to him.

“Gale,” I lightly touch his forearm, “It isn’t your place to worry about this baby.”

He lowers his hands slowly. “Listen Vala,” he says looking through me with his sea green eyes. “I don’t know where this baby came from, but in my mind, it is my responsibility. It has my blood in its veins, so it’s not all your responsibility.” He lets a low smile crack across his face.

“You’re an amazing person Gale.” I say allowing a similar smile show on my face. He stands, then helps me up.

I move over to him and throw my arms around his neck, hugging him. Just the short minute in his arms was enough to make the world okay. If I was alone in the world with anyone, I was glad it was with him. He would always take care of me. And I knew it.