iii.

- CHAPTER TWO-

- CHAPTER TWO-

DYNAMICS 

⌿⍀

"Took you long enough," Shae smirks, his eyes finally catching glimpse of the long, jet black hair and the breeze gives it a slight push, the strands covering her rosy cheeks that are blushing. 

"Some of us don't have the luxury of being a speedster," Cate jests, trying her best to mask her rosy cheeks with a witty comment but the latter closes the gap between them, loving how easily he makes her fluster and it works, the rosy cheeks darken to a crimson red. 

"Have you done something different with your hair?" He asks, the random question catching Cate off guard and she looks up at him, giving him her furrowing eyebrows.

"Oh my God, you're so annoying," Cate huffs but still lets Shae play with her long locks, his hands combing through her freshly washed hair and she loves it.

"So, you don't wanna have small talk anymore, just straight to kissing now?" Shae teases watching her face drop at the unexpected comment.

"Can we hurry up, I-I-I'm training with Paige and w-we need to finish this up before she notices I'm gone," She tries to sidetrack the conversation but she stumbles over her words and the hot glare from Shae's dark eyes is no help.

"Finish what?" He continues messing around, the way Cate's eyes widen each time he opens his mouth a funny sight to him.

"Y-you kn-know, this!" Cate panics her finger frantically point at the two of them, her mouth too sweet to mention the reality of their situation.

"Exactly, even you can't define what we are," Shae sighs, stepping back in defeat and he takes a seat on the uncomfortable pole of the bleachers. The energy between them shift. It's no longer flirty and something sombre replaces it.

"D-don't you like hanging out behind the bleachers with me?" Cate mumbles, her mood deflating at the look on Shae's face. 

Shae with the ability to do anything in the world in a matter of seconds appears tired and restlessly in front of her eyes. His eyes fail to stay open as they overlap each other and his head rests against the thick metal pole that supports the stadium seats above them. The last couple of months hasn't been the kindest to him.

"I'm sorry Cate, I-I'm just stressed about this tournament, especially since last year...well, you know what happened." He's no longer the confident heartthrob he was a second ago, his demeanour shifting to a fragile state.

Cate watches from her stance, her feet are like glue to the floor, unable to move despite her mind screaming for her to comfort him yet the thought of 'what are we' replays at the back.