ix.

- CHAPTER EIGHT-

- CHAPTER EIGHT-

NOSTALGIA

⌿⍀

It's delicate but potent. In Greek, 'nostalgia' literally means "the pain from an old wound." It's a twinge in your heart far more powerful than memory alone - a feeling of a place where we ache to go again. And at times we seem to forget those places, the busy life of adolescence and puberty distracting us from childhood, the years spent being free, living it up with simply no care in the world.

Take us back.

THREE

YEARS

AGO...

"I think you should try out!" Violet oozes, nothing but encouragement in her tone and her hands embrace the Cancer in front of her, pulling her close.

"I probably won't make the team...so it's stupid..." Cate sighs as she clutches tightly to her school books and the two girls reach their designated lockers.

"Cate, what have I told you?" Violet says irritated at her friend's insecurity.

"I don't know..." She avoids the green piercing eyes of her best friend and punches in her combination. The stare becomes heavier, too hard to ignore and she sighs again in defeat, "I'm amazing, one-of-a-kind and should stop doubting myself."

Violet smiles, her pearly whites beaming and she gives her a light pat, "exactly, so you're going to try out and I'll even do it with you, yeah?" She reassures.

"Seriously, you'd do that for me?" Her eyes glisten as she looks over at the raven-headed beauty who's stuffing her books in her lock, "even if those girls say something to us?"

"Please, those bitches can eat shit. They're just jealous of how insanely talented we are and if we join the cheer team they'll finally realise they're nothing but mediocre hoes." Violet has a way with insults and no matter how brutal they are, it always comforts Cate.

"Let's go sign up!" It energies a newfound passion in Cate to prove those girls wrong and all she needed was little reinforcement from her best friend.

"Plus, it'll finally get Shae to notice you," she giggles and Cate gasps in response, slapping her as well.

"I do not need Shae's attention!" She gibes.

"Is that why we always go to his games and I mean ALL of them!" Violet chides back.

"Hey, I'm just trying to show some school spirit!"