v.

- CHAPTER FOUR-

- CHAPTER FOUR-

HEATED TENSION

⌿⍀

"Lift in 1, 2, 3, LIFT!" Megan orders, her voice oozing out the usual authority it always possesses and her team abides by her instruction, lifting the girl that's falling in and out of conscious, up from the stretcher and onto the medic bed.

"She'll be fine, right?" Sasha's voice trembles and he finds his teeth nibbling on his fingernails, the anxiety far too overwhelming to ignore.

He watches as Megan, the Medical Head at the Zodia Academy rip off a section of the latex material she wears, exposing her lower thigh and revealing two large holes pooling with blood and scattering around the perimeter is faint bite marks, adding another element of pink to her red thigh. The bite mark looks burnt and Megan flicks her medical light at the wound, seeing purple and brown bruises, along with burnt blood clots.

"Leah, honey, can you hear me?" Megan's attention flicks back to the teen's face, it's pale, almost white with her lips a shade of mauve it replaces her usual rich, dark tan and plump cherry lips.

"I-I-I burnt the wound t-t-to s-s-stop the s-spread of the v-venom," her teeth chatter together, shivering and her eyes feel heavy again, daring to flush shut but she fights against it, knowing the urgency of staying conscious.

"That's amazing, you did good!" Megan consoles, her medical years of experience lowering the stress of Leah's. She places her hand on the Firegirl's head, taking an estimate of her temperature.

"I-I-I'm c-c-cold," Leah shivers, biting her lower lip, the mauve deepening to a Prussian blue.

Sasha's feet stand still watching Megan and her medical team treat Leah and as much as he knows she'll be fine and recover in no time, he fills with guilty, his duty to keep everyone safe on the mission a big fail. His mind clouds, the heaviness of it failing to notice the light tap on his shoulder.

"Sasha, step outside with me," it isn't until the voice reveals itself does Sasha release himself from his thoughts.

He turns to see Orion, the old man bearing a smile, the familiarity of it making Sasha let out a breath, releasing a wave of fear and regret, "I failed-"

"Let's have this conversation outside," Orion consoles, bring his arm over the tall Scorpio, guiding him outside the Medic room and into the hallow hallway.

"I'm so sorry-"

"You didn't fail anything Sasha, you're being too hard on yourself. This mission couldn't have been accomplished without an injury, Leah is strong, she'll be up and ready in time," Orion cuts him off.

Sasha knows everything that's coming out of Orion's mouth is true, they didn't fail anything, someone always sustains an injury during a mission but what he couldn't pinpoint was why Leah's injury was stirring such feelings of failure.