-

[ one year ago ]

"Are you fucking serious, Leon?" Anita yelled into her phone at her boyfriend, while pacing through her room.

"Anita, come on, I swear, I didn't actually kiss her. She made a move on me, and someone took a picture of that!" Leon protested. It was evident he was frustrated because the French accent he tried to hide was coming out, making his words more slurred.

"I don't give a crap about it, Leon. You know what I see?" Anita said, staring at her laptop screen with an icy glare. "I see you making out with the same fucking girl that's been a bitch to me since 2nd grade."

"Anita," Leon said, softer this time. "I'm sorry, but it's really not what it looks like."

Anita looked into her FaceTime with Leon, and noticed a packed suitcase in the corner of his screen. "What's that?" she asked, her eyes narrowing.

"What?" Leon asked, looking around his room.

"That suitcase. Are you going somewhere?" Anita asked, her curiosity overpowering her anger.

"Um, yeah." Leon said, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly. "I'm actually moving to France soon." He said, ending softly and looking up at her.

Anita stared blankly at the screen for a second before letting out a delirious laugh. "Are you fucking serious? You kissed the one person I hate-"

"I didn't kiss her back." Leon blurted. "Anyone who looks closely at the picture can tell."

Anita glared at her screen. "Fine! You let it last, and then you tell me you're going to move to France?"

Leon looks at her sadly. "I didn't plan for the day to go like this. I was at her house because I was grabbing some stuff from Parker's place, and because they're related she was right there. You know, today was going to be special-"

"I don't give a crap." Anita said calmly. "You and I? We're fucking over. Don't you dare ever show your face to me again. Go to France and stay there."

"Anita," Leon said desperately, looking at the screen. "Let me expl-"

Anita didn't even bother to let him finish, angrily ending the FaceTime. She was angry and she was upset, and she really didn't want to hear any excuses. She didn't want to think that she'd been wrong at jumping to conclusions.

A month later, Leon moved. Anita didn't hear from him again. She blocked his number, deleted his contact, and unfriended and unfollowed him on all his social media.

It was a few months later when Anita thought to zoom in on the picture to see if Leon was being truthful. But seeing the picture again made Anita remember how many times Lindsey had made fun of her, making Anita feel worthless. Remembering all those hurtful things, and then seeing that same girl kissing her boyfriend was enough to make her feel sick. So, she deleted all the pictures, and didn't even bother to check if Leon's story checked out.

She tried to convince herself to get over him. She told herself that if he cheated, he didn't deserve her. But, Anita couldn't forget all the memories they'd had together, and couldn't forget anything about him, no matter how hard she tried. She told herself she was over him over and over and over until it seemed like it would stick.

But somewhere in the back of her head, Anita would still have hope. Hope that he didn't actually cheat and that he was telling the truth. And that tiny ray of hope was enough to not let her get over him. It was enough that sometimes, she still loved Leon. And, no matter how hard she tried to ignore it, she knew it was true.