Chapter 4: The reason why

"One stage of your journey is over. Another begins." said Gandalf while walking out of the forest as fast as possible. "We must travel to Edoras with all speed."

"Edoras?" asked Gimli. "That is no short distance!"

"We hear of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king." said Aragorn.

"Yes, and it will not be easily cured." said Gandalf.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor Hobbits here..."

Niphredil who was walking as the last person, didn't hear Gimli's voice anymore. She felt a twinge of pain in her head and heard a cry of Nazgul and Frodo who was calling her name. Suddenly she saw a vast marshland. A dark giant creature like a dragon was flying from above. She heard a cry of Nazgul again. Then she was back in the forest. "Frodo!" she whispered frightened. She closed her eyes and quickly focused her power on Frodo. She could feel his horror and his will to put on the ring. "Frodo, I'm here. Don't put the ring on. Don't." she thought in her mind. She felt the horror passed and sensed Frodo's great tiredness.

"Niphredil!" she jumped at hearing Legolas's voice. "Are you coming?" he looked at her intently. "you heard his voice again. Don't you?" asked Legolas with concern and came to her side. Niphredil shook her head.

"No. it was Frodo. He was in danger. But it passed. I think a Nazgul has passed from his way." she said quietly.

"we should tell Gandalf." said Legolas. "No. not now." answered Niphredil. None of them could do anything for Frodo even Gandalf and she didn't want to be questioned every passing second about what she was not sure about.

Legolas stared at her terrified face for a second. He then took her hand and walked after the others. "alright, let's go then. We will talk about it later."

they found the others waiting at the skirts of the forest. When Legolas and Niphredil reached them they heard the sound of gallops and looked at its direction. Two horses were running to them. One was white and the other ...

"Lótë!" whispered Niphredil, shocked. The second horse was glittering like mithril under the light of the sun. "Lótë!" Niphredil shouted and ran toward Lótë. Lótë saw her and neighed and ran faster toward Niphredil.

They reached each other and Niphredil hugged Lótë's head and cried freely. "oh, I'm sorry, my friend. I'm sorry. I must not leave you alone." she said between her sobs. Lótë nuzzled her head to Niphredil's neck and then licked her tears. Niphredil laughed. "I'm so happy to see you alive. Today I got back two of my best friends. Eru must love me so much." said Niphredil happily and caressed Lótë's mane, enjoying the great old feelings.

"come, let's go to the others." said Niphredil and mounted Lótë. She rode to the others who had mounted their horses as well. They were smiling at her, glad to see her happy.

"Niphredil!" cried Gimli. "you really have a beautiful great horse. Niphredil nodded.

"after your battle, Shadowfax, who was passing from there, found Lótë and brought Beorn to her. Beorn has helped her and now she is here." explained Gandalf.

"Thank you, Shadowfax. I must thank Beorn as well. You did a great favor for me. I owe you." said Niphredil gratefully. Shadowfax bowed his head in response.

"we will arrive at Edoras in three days. Shadowfax will take us from the closest path. Follow him. He is steering a straight course now for the halls of Théoden under the slopes of the White Mountains. we should ride fast."

For many hours they rode on through the meads and riverlands. Often the grass was so high that it reached above the knees of the riders, and their steeds seemed to be swimming in a grey-green sea.

It was the second night of their journey. At last, when they halted and dismounted, even Aragorn was stiff and weary. Gandalf only allowed them a few hours rest.

Gandalf had just talked with Aragorn when he saw Legolas standing a few meters away from him. he went and Stood beside him. Legolas looked at him. "Gandalf." He said and bowed his head.

"what has kept the Prince of Mirkwood awake late at night?" asked Gandalf. Legolas looked ahead and said nothing but Gandalf could see his eyes full of concern. He pulled out his pipe and start to smoke.

"you are worried about Niphredil, aren't you?" said Gandalf. Legolas looked at him, shocked. "I'm not blind son. I have seen the way you two look at each other in the past two days. I've also heard things from her grandparents." Said Gandalf.

"I'm afraid," said Legolas after a moment. "She has engaged herself in some matters that I'm afraid to be beyond her powers. I'm afraid to lose her. she hears voices in her mind. Sauron's voice, Gandalf."

"I know." Said Gandalf and looked at the veiling shadows in the East. "she has been in his thoughts for a long time, even before Niphredil's birthday." Legolas looked at him with a questioning look. Gandalf looked at him too. "There is a prophecy that Niphredil is the only one who has the ability to send Sauron to naught where his master was sent so long ago. Sauron fears her a lot. Once, he wanted to destroy her, but now he wants her for himself. Niphredil has a great power, more than healing abilities or reading feelings and minds. Her hidden power is the exact opposite of Sauron. If he attains his goal, his power will be beyond measure, even without the ring. he will take her power out of her by force and Niphredil could do nothing but only to see all the things she loves suffer because of her. After a short time, she will die. But that short time will be enough for Sauron to bring everyone under his order. His wings will bring him to the undying lands as well. He thinks about having children of Niphredil too. Then, after her death, he could use their power." Said Gandalf.

Legolas eyes were wide and he was breathing hard. He was scared beyond measure.

"But there is still hope." said Gandalf. "This will happen only when Niphredil compromises herself or becomes too weak and not be able to defend herself. That is why your love is so important. Niphredil has the power to fight with Sauron. With your love, her power will grow. But still, we must be very careful. That is why Frodo's mission is more important."

"what should I do? I must be dead before Sauron can touch her." said Legolas with a voice that seemed to come from a deep well.

Gandalf smiled at him warmly. He patted his shoulder. "my dear son, you don't need to do anything odd. Your heart will do everything. Just stay by her side. Your power will help her." said Gandalf.

Legolas looked at the Mordor's direction with disgust. His hands curled into fists.

"you are the high king of the elves, Legolas. You have the great power of your kin. From the day we realized you love Niphredil, we have got revealed a lot cause we knew you will protect her. Sauron now fears of you too. He knew about your love and your friendship with Aragorn. He fears you gather the elves under your flag and unite with Aragorn to destroy him. he fears the history repeats again. You must be careful too, my lord." Said Gandalf and bowed his head.

Legolas stared at the ground. "you know that I can't unite the elves like my grandfather Gil-Galad. The time of the elves is over, Gandalf." Said Legolas.

"sometimes it's good to have a little faith in yourself, my Lord. I know you are stronger than Gil-Galad. And you have Niphredil by your side. don't forget this. Now go and rest these remaining hours." Said Gandalf.

Legolas nodded and turned to leave. He then halted and turned to Gandalf. "thank you, Gandalf." He said and then left. He went and lied down next to Niphredil. she seemed to be deep in sleep. Her peaceful face was so beautiful. He gently took her hand. "I won't let him catch you, Niphredil. I promise." He whispered and then closed his eyes, but sleep didn't come to him that night. He remained awake and thought about what Gandalf had told him.