Chapter 13: Road to Isengard(2)

At last the company passed through the trees, and found that they had come to the bottom of the Coomb, where the road from Helm's Deep branched, going one way east to Edoras, and the other north to the Fords of Isen.

The company turned then away from the Coomb and from the wood and took the road towards the Fords. Legolas followed reluctantly. The sun had set, already it had sunk behind the rim of the world. They rode now at an easy pace and dark came down upon the plains about them. The slow moon mounted, now waxing towards the full, and in its cold silver light, the swelling grasslands rose and fell like a wide gray sea.

Niphredil let her hood fell and raised her head and let the cold beam of light caress her face. Her hair was illuminating. She felt a rush of energy in her veins. It was hard for Eomer who was riding a little behind her, to take his eyes off of her.

They had ridden for some four hours from the branching of the roads when they drew near to the river. The road dipped between rising turf-banks, carving its way through the terraces to the river's edge, and up again upon the further side. There were three lines of flat stepping-stones across the stream, and between them fords for horses, that went from either brink to a bare eyot in the midst. The riders looked down upon the crossings, and it seemed strange to them, for the Fords had ever been a place full of the rush and chatter of water upon stones, but now they were silent. The beds of the stream were almost dry, a bare waste of shingles and gray sand.

"This is become a dreary place," said Éomer. "What sickness has befallen the river? Many fair things Saruman has destroyed. Has he devoured the springs of Isen too?"

"So it would seem," said Gandalf.

"Alas!" said Théoden. 'Must we pass this way, where the carrion-beasts devour so many good Riders of the Mark?"

"This is our way," said Gandalf. "Grievous is the fall of your men, but you shall see that at least the wolves of the mountains do not devour them. It is with their friends, the Orcs, that they hold their feast. Such indeed is the friendship of their kind. Come!"

There was an ancient highway that ran down from Isengard to the crossings. This road they followed but they did not ride upon it, for the ground beside it was firm and level, covered for many miles about with short springing turf. They rode now more swiftly, and by midnight the Fords were nearly five leagues behind. Then they halted, ending their night's journey, for the King was weary. They were come to the feet of the Misty Mountains, and the long arms of Nan Curunír stretched down to meet them. Dark lay the vale before them, for the moon had passed into the West, and its light was hidden by the hills. But out of the deep shadow of the dale rose a vast spire of smoke and vapor, as it mounted, it caught the rays of the sinking moon and spread in shimmering billows, black and silver, over the starry sky.

"What do you think of that, Gandalf?" asked Aragorn. "One would say that all the Wizard's Vale was burning."

"There is ever a fume above that valley in these days," said Éomer. "but I have never seen aught like this before. These are steams rather than smokes. Saruman is brewing some devilry to greet us. Maybe he is boiling all the waters of Isen, and that is why the river runs dry."

"Maybe he is," said Gandalf. "Tomorrow we shall learn what he is doing. Now let us rest for a while, if we can."

They camped beside the bed of the Isen river. It was still silent and empty. The four remaining of the fellowship plus Gandalf had a tent together. Niphredil went inside and stripped to her white tonic and black-gray leggings. They had just gone to their bunkers when they heard the cry of watchmen and all awoke. They rushed out of the tent. The moon was gone. Stars were shining above, but over the ground there crept a darkness blacker than the night. On both sides of the river, it rolled towards them, going northward.

"Stay where you are!" said Gandalf. "Draw no weapons! Wait! and it will pass you by!"

Niphredil felt a chill ran through her body and shivered. Legolas wrapped his arm around her protectively and pulled her close to himself.

A mist gathered about them. Above them, a few stars still glimmered faintly, but on either side, there arose walls of impenetrable gloom, they were in a narrow lane between moving towers of shadow. Voices they heard, whisperings and groanings and an endless rustling sigh, the earth shook under them. Niphredil could distinguish some words. It was like the whispering of angry trees. Long it seemed to them that they sat and were afraid, but at last the darkness and the rumor passed and vanished between the mountain's arms.

"You are fine?" asked Legolas from trembling Niphredil in his arms. Niphredil nodded. "I think I can guess where this shadow has come from. When we were in Fangorn I felt their presence in deep and dark places of the forest." she said.

"I agree. It was like an angry army of the ancient trees." said Legolas.

"you are right. Elves can understand other living creatures better than others. But now come and rest while you can. We will move in the first hours of the morning." said Gandalf.

They saw and heard no other strange thing that night, save one: the voice of the river beside them suddenly awoke. There was a rush of water hurrying down among the stones and when it had passed, the Isen flowed and bubbled in its bed again, as it had ever done.

At dawn, they made ready to go on. The light came gray and pale, and they did not see the rising of the sun. The air above was heavy with fog, and a reek lay on the land about them. They went slowly, riding now upon the highway and soon they had passed into Nan Curunír, the Wizard's Vale.

They reached the great circle of Isengard and what they saw made them surprised.