Chapter 7: Wargs

Niphredil left the stalls and headed for the great hall to find the others. When she climbed the stairs, she saw Legolas, standing at the edge of the platform, looking to the North East. He seemed peaceful but Niphredil knew him better. She could see the shadow of concern in his face.

She went behind him. "my Lord!" she called him gently but Legolas didn't notice her. "My Lord, Legolas." She called again and this time Legolas heard and turned to her. Niphredil smiled.

"You were deep in your thoughts." She said and stood next to him. Legolas took her hand. Her little and delicate hand had become like a rescue rope for him.

"well, yes. I was looking at my homeland. The war has reached the walls of my kingdom." Said Legolas and gazed ahead.

Niphredil looked at him with concern. She gently touched his arm. Legolas looked at her. "Go back to Mirkwood, Legolas and help your people. Forget what you have promised Finrod about me." She said quietly.

Legolas smiled and kissed her cheek. "Niphredil, you must have realized by now that it's not my promise to Finrod that has kept me by your side. if I leave you, I would be mad. I love you so much, my dear star." He said lovingly. "but your love is not the only thing that has kept me here." He said and looked at the East. "I have a duty as the high king of the Elves. I must be on this journey. My people have my father and Tauriel and they have your grandfather's help. I must stay by Aragorn's side and see the destruction of the dark tower so my people can live freely. I don't want more Elves to die in battles." He said.

Niphredil gazed at him with pride. In her eyes, he suddenly became taller and a light began to shine on his forehead like a star. He had the demeanor of the high kings, mighty and wise.

"so you finally accepted your title." Said Niphredil.

"I had to accept it for defeating Sauron." Said Legolas.

"he will try to kill you. He fears of you even more than Aragorn, for the Elves were his first and mighty enemies from the start. I'm worried for you." Said Niphredil worried.

Legolas looked at her and smiled. He put his hand around her waist and pulled her closer. "if we were not standing here in front of all of this men, I would kiss you to death, Niphredil." he said and Niphredil chuckled. "then I'm cursed that we are here now." Said Niphredil.

Legolas laughed too. "by the way, don't be worried about me, my love. I know what I'm doing. Trust me." Said Legolas seriously.

"I do." Said Niphredil and leaned her head on his shoulder and closed her eyes.

"Hey, you two pointy ear love birds." Snored Gimli and brought them back to their surroundings. "You are standing in public, you idiots. If your flirting has finished, then Let's go. They're leaving and unfortunately, I can't ride a horse." He nagged.

Niphredil knitted her eyebrows. "we were not flirting." She said.

"yes, you're saying. Come. Aragorn in waiting for us." Said Gimli and went down the stairs.

Niphredil and Legolas went and took their backpacks and went to the stalls. Less than half an hour they were on their way toward Helm's deep. They were slow because of women and children. Niphredil let two children rode Lótë. She was walking with Legolas.

It was the afternoon of their first day. They were stopped for rest. Niphredil was standing a little away from the others. She was watching around her when she felt great distress.