Chapter 6: The king's decision

Theodred funeral was held a few hours later. All the people of the Edoras had been gathered near the mound where Theodred tomb was. Four guards were carrying Theodred's body which had been laid on a litter. Theoden was walking after them followed by Gandalf, Aragorn, and his men. Niphredil was walking next to Legolas and Gimli. She had put on her hood again. The people's odd looks when seeing her was making her uneasy.

 The people's odd looks when seeing her was making her uneasy

They reached the mound. Eowyn, the woman whom Niphredil had seen before in front of the great hall, was standing there with other women. She was wearing black clothes and had put her hair in a bun. When the littler reached the mound she began to sing a song in their language. The men put Theodred in his grave while she was singing.

Niphredil couldn't understand what she was saying, but the words of the lament made her sad. Legolas felt her sadness and draped his hand around her shoulders and pulled her to his side.

The funeral ended and everyone other than Gandalf and Theoden went to the city. Eowyn led them to the great hall and prepared food for them. They had just sat at the table when suddenly the doors opened and two guards rushed inside followed by Theoden and Gandalf. Each was carrying a child. A boy who was unconscious and a girl with a fearful, teary and pale face.

"Legolas! Niphredil! they need you." Called Gandalf and the two elves rushed to their side.

Eowyn put a blanket and the guard placed the boy on it. Legolas knelt beside him and took the boy's hand and put his other hand on his forehead. The other guard put the girl on another bench and wrapped her in blankets. Niphredil went to her and hugged her tight. She could feel the girl's fast heartbeat.

The boy moaned and opened his eyes slowly. Legolas turned to surprised Eowyn. "he is too weak. They need food and water." He said. Eowyn nodded and went to provide food. The girl wiggled in Niphredil's embrace and hide her little face in Niphredil's belly. Niphredil looked down and caressed her messy hair kindly. She was so scared.

A few minutes later, the two children were eating and both seemed fine

A few minutes later, the two children were eating and both seemed fine. Niphredil was standing next to the girl who was refusing to release her.

"They had no warning." Said Eowyn who was checking the boy and stood. "They were unarmed. Now the Wild Men are moving through the Westfold, burning as they go. Rick, cot and tree." She said to Theoden who was pacing in the hall.