(8) ᴊᴜsᴛ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ...

• Cassandra •

"If two trainer's eyes happen to meet, the rule is: they have a battle!"

Walking through the forest, the bright sunshine on my face, the cool breeze, and the calming voices of my traveling partners... It was the perfect recipe for a nice stroll through the woods while we were on our way out of Suoh Village to the next gym. That is until we came to a clearing and a random figure came out of nowhere.

Another trainer... I swear these people just like to pop out at you and battle you...

"Wait, is that an actual rule?" Serena questioned while Ash and the random magenta-haired girl prepared for battle. Clemont shook his head and explained that it wasn't technically a rule, but everyone pretty much goes by it. I nodded my head in agreement and we turned our heads to watch Ash battle the trainer, whose name turned out to be Penelope.

Ash looked fascinated by Penelope's fairy type Pokemon, Sylveon. He had a look of wonder in his eyes, like a child, that I couldn't help but smile at. As I smiled at Ash and his wonder, Penelope said something that caught all of our attention.

"Promise me something! If I beat you in this battle, you're coming with me, sweetie!" She winked at Ash while my eyes widened in surprise and Serena's flamed with jealousy. Ash didn't seem to get the hint however and eagerly agreed to go with Penelope anywhere. I just shook my head at him.

So dense...

He called out his Froakie to battle Sylveon and the battle commenced.

Froakie started the battle with a strong Bubble but it was countered by Sylveon's Fairy Wind. Froakie was thrown back into a tree and he struggled to get up, but he managed to pull himself up, only to be met with Moonblast from his opponent.

Sylveon gathered energy from the moon and shot a blast at Froakie, but he leaped up and hit the tree behind him, dodging the blast and causing some fruit to fall. He kicked the fruit and Sylveon blasted the fruit, thinking it got a hit at Froakie.

"Froakie! Use Water Pulse!"

It was just a decoy...

Froakie kicked the berries to distract Sylveon and attacked it with Water Pulse.

"Way to go Froakie! Nice distracting Ash!" I yelled out at the battling boy. He turned to face me, only for a second, and gave me a thumbs up and wink.

He turned his attention back to the battle and was ready to hit Sylveon with another attack when Penelope called out a game-changing move.

"Sylveon! Use Attract!" Penelope shouted out. Sylveon danced around just before winking at Froakie, which caused him to fall into a deep trance.

"Oh no..." Serena muttered from beside me. I nodded my head as we watched Froakie drop to the ground from being in love with Sylveon and the hope of winning drained slowly from Ash's face. Sylveon finished off Froakie with Draining Kiss and Froakie fainted, unable to battle.

The battle officially ended and Ash picked Froakie up in his arms and reassured him that he battled greatly. Penelope walked up to him and offered an Oran berry from the tree to help Froakie feel better.

"Now you remember that promise you made me right?" Ash nodded and we gathered our stuff to follow Penelope.

~

"I'm back children!" Penelope announced as we walked into a courtyard filled with little kids. They all turned and charged towards us as they welcomed Penelope back.

"Look at all those kids," Ash observed while the rest of us nodded in agreement. Clemont observed that they all looked about Kindergarten-age and the building looked like a school. After that, I immediately realized what was actually happening.