02. Wishing upon a gossip dandelion

Succulent, love, please stop falling already!

I curse under my breath as I pick a half-spilled pot from the ground and try to disperse the remainder of the dirt on the sidewalk with my shoe. Resuming my little workout, I head to the building I've barely been to lately while trying to ignore everyone's -what's with the crazy box lady- looks.

It was actually impressive of me to fit all of my things in one cardboard container, though. Judging from the mess my desk was sinking in, one would easily think that I had moved to that tiny cubicle they dare and call an office. I mean, I had to penguin-walk my way to my chair, for Christ's sake!

"Chrys!"

Oh no, I have better run for my life.

As my pace gets faster by the second, I keep huffing, puffing, and blowing a lock of hair that wouldn't get away from my eyeball. Agh! That's such a terrible day for me to wear heels. I had to, though, because my bitchy ex-boss wanted her employees to always dress up. She, on the other hand, could show up in sweat pants and give me a hard time if I didn't abide by her dress code.

"Chrys, wait up!" the voice is getting louder, oh crap, he's getting closer. Move feet, move!

Trying to balance my sprinting body, I plunge my hand in the depth of my Alibaba and the forty sharpies box, but cannot find the stupid apartment keys. How am I supposed to dodge the bullet heading straight to my brain now? Looking left and right for a safe shelter for me to escape my doom, I'm greeted by the heavenly smell of brewed coffee.

Just as I manage to open the front door, another loud bark emerges from the other end of the street and I groan as I hope and pray to be left in peace. Judging from many painful previous experiences, I have a strange feeling that my prayers won't find their way to their recipient.

"One strong bitter coffee coming right up!" announces Ginko as she pours a mugfull of sumptuous brown liquid. The woman knows me so well! Smiling at the clouds of steam gently ascending to her face, she finally places the cup and holds her rugged face in between her hands as she waits for me to move away from the door of her shop.

Placing the box on the ground, I walk to the counter and take a sniff, filling my lungs with as much caffeine scent as possible. Conscious of the mental breakdown I'm slowly falling into, she cocks an eyebrow up and points to the overloaded cardboard container I just put down,

"Please don't tell me you got fired. You're the only one who pays rent on time!"

Before I get to swallow the sip of coffee still steeping my tongue, the door flies open, and my safe place is violated as a loud voice resonates in the entire room, sending shivers through the hung mugs. Ugh, he had to follow me here, didn't he?

"Chrys, I was calling you!"

As I try to enjoy my daily dose of caffeine, I ignore him and close my eyes, for the brown magic is successfully taming the raging beast inside of me.