12. Speaking of the Briar

"Where are you taking that?" asks Regina, pointing at the red box I tried hard to slip from behind her radars

"Where are you taking that?" asks Regina, pointing at the red box I tried hard to slip from behind her radars. I bet my bonsai that Samuel asked her to keep an eye on me in case I set his company on fire. Might as well take advantage of the situation.

Sinking my head in between my shoulders, I motion to her to come closer as I hold the box tight to my chest. While stars form in her eyes in anticipation of an earth-shattering piece of information, she places her hand on her mouth, her eyes pleading me to finally spill the bean. 

"Haven't I told you about this new thing I'm testing? Now don't tell anyone about it, but I'm using gauge..." I trail, noticing her eyes getting wider by the second, "to block the communication pathways of nosey people. Now move away, and tell Samuel to try and enjoy his vacation instead of ruining my day."

All I hear is a mere "Huh" while I walk away from her, avoiding the venom tsunami that would've carried me away if I dared and stayed near her. Now in her defense, it's not every day that you see a landscaper strolling in the company's premises, holding onto a first aid kit to dear life. I couldn't tell her what I had done though, could I? My reputation just cannot handle the weight of another scandalous tsunami. 

When the elevator ring announces my arrival to the eighteenth floor, I take a deep breath, preparing myself to go back into the dark corridor. Much to my surprise, the now lifted blinds let in some sun rays, allowing me to take a good look at what I thought was going to be the crime scene of my tragic fall for a fungus.

As much as it hurts to say it, I might've been wrong about Mr. Fungus. This one time, at least. While he tried hard to surprise me with the new offices he'd been working on, I sent a thank you shovel to smack his bones. If it weren't for the flashlight he'd turned on, I would've kept hitting him until he spat the last bit of fungus in him.

When I'm a few steps away from the brand new office I now can call mine, I take a deep breath, rejoicing at the thought of finally being freed from my sardine can. Looking at the plaque sitting on the wall, a tiny smile finds its way to my face, making me regret the buckets of venom I had spat.

Just then, and as I read "Chrysanthemum Said", my left eye starts flickering in perfect synchronization with the beat my feet make on their way into the room. Didn't I say he'd do something dumb to deserve the hit? Call it dumbness clairvoyance or prior punishment, all traces of regret I had in me are long gone.

"Are you alright Gren?" I ask, walking in to find him scrolling down the screen of his phone and smiling like the dumb boss he is.

Surprised to see me back, he puts the device down, squinting his eyes as his lips mumble a muted "What?"

"You didn't mind forgetting the second A in mine, I figured I'd forget the E in yours." 

As if I'd thrown the most hilarious joke ever, I sense intense vibrations shaking his chest and threatening to implode and take us both down. Not really trusting my patience to spare him another shovel hit, I open the red box and begin taking out what I'll need to cover up all evidence of my previous assault on him.