Chapter 8: Therapy

Percy had been pacing outside Dick's door for a while now, uncertain she should even do this. She didn't even go to therapy after the Wars, granted, she was a mental emotional wreck. She had stayed with her mom and Paul after those, but, this time, she can't go to her mom. She sighed, and decided to at least try.

She knocked on the door, and then waited. She heard him drop something, and pick it up. Moving about, and then he opened the door.

 Moving about, and then he opened the door

(Dick Grayson picture above)

"Paisley? What's wrong?" He Asked her, and she looked up at him. I guess her look was enough, he opened up his door and let her in. She was surprised to find a redhead girl in a wheelchair, even more so when she glared at her.

"Who's this Dick?" She Asked, and Percy his behind Dick. This girl scared her slightly, reminded her of Rachel and Clarisse in one person.

"Babs, don't scare her. This is Alfreds Niece, Paisley. She's living with us now, so, I guess that technically makes her my sister." Dick said, as he began to mutter to himself in another language.

"What happened?" Babs Asked, and Percy let some tears fall.

"My, my mom, Stepdad, and little sister were killed. I found their bodies in my room, and, I can't live on my own till I'm twenty five." She Said, very quietly. Immediately Babs, her demeanor changed. She wheeled up, and placed one of her hands on her arm.

"I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry I scared you. Dick has a knack for how do I call it? Oh, that's it, he has a knack for getting girls." She Said, and Percy smiled a small smile at the woman.

"Ok, I get it Barbra. But it's not like I try, you know I'm yours and only yours." Dick said, and Barbra laughed.

"I'm off to find Stephanie, I'll be back." Barbra said, as she wheeled out of the room.

"Ok, so, what do you want to talk about?" Dick Asked her, and Percy sighed.

"Is the offer still on the table?" She Asked, and immediately Dick knew what this was about.

"Of course it is, you're family now. Here, let's sit down, and then we can talk about it." He Said, as he led her to a seating area in his room.(picture at top)

"I was wondering, who did you lose?" Percy Asked quietly, and he gave her a sad smile.

"I lost my entire family, I saw it happen. You can never unsee their deaths, but you can move on. I did, Bruce is still working on that. Granted, he grew up differently than me." He said, an Percy looked at him in interest.

"I was the youngest in a family of acrobats known as the "Flying Graysons," we were a small family. Traveling with the circus from country to country, new crowd after new crowd. It was the life, then I watched as a mafia boss killed my parents, aunt, uncle, and cousin in order to extort money from the circus that employed us." He said, and Percy gasped.

"I'm so sorry, but, I've always had my mom." She Said, and he looked at her weirdly, and she sighed.

"My mom never married my father, they had Kina like a one night stand. She loved him dearly, and I know he loved her just as much. My mom had me nine months later, and her life changed even more.

You see, she lost her family when she was young, and lived with her uncle. Then, he got sick her senior year. She had to take care of him, and he died. Leaving her with no diploma, no degree, and no money.

She told me that despite having just lost her uncle, she was happy. Happy with my dad, and even more happy with me. She worked a job at a candy store, and always saw the good things. Even in people, even the people who are total jerks.

When I was two, she married a man named Gabe Ugliano. Worst person I've met, he was so awful to us. He was abusive, and perverted. But, she stayed with him.

The guy who wasn't upset in the slightest when we went missing, he only cared about the attention he got. Him disappearing was the best thing to happen to us, cuz that's when mom met Paul. My seventh grade English teacher, and second stepfather.

He didn't quite understand me at first, so I tried to be there to get to know him. It wasn't till after I lost a lot of people that he understood. I finally had a family that loved me, and mom finally had someone who treated her the way she deserved." Percy told him, and he looked at her. Finally seeing the woman that was Alfreds Niece, she was someone who grew up too soon.

"Paisley, me and Bruce, lost our families when we were young. Bruce closed himself off from everyone, and still hasn't gotten over the pain, that could also be because his family's killer never got brought to justice.

Making friends, smiling, laughing, having fun, those are what helped me heal. Having my family's killer brought to justice, that helped me heal. But closing yourself off from emotions, from feeling. That won't do you any good, it never does." Dick said, and Percy looked at him and he was astonished. Her eyes, looked like the ocean on a perfect day. Swirling and churning, green and blue mixing together, her eyes were shining with everything he fought to protect. Everything except innocence, and from what he saw, she lost hers a long time ago.

"Thank you Dick, this-this really helped. Maybe I will like living here, you sure are different from what I excepted you to be like." She Said with a pure genuine smile, one he gladly returned.

"Glad to be useful." He Said, then Percy decided to leave. But before she left, she turned around.

"Oh, and I go by Percy." She Said, then she left. Leaving Dick behind, laughing.