Savages Vs. Savages ~Part 1~

I had arrived in The New World, walking around in the forest. It was nice, seeing all the birds flying through the trees, and watching the fluffy white clouds move through the clear blue sky.  I was actually quite eager to see Pocahontas again; the last time I was here I didn’t get to stay very long. Luckily, through the thick green trees, I was able to remember the path to her village. I was now on the outskirts of her village, observing from afar, everyone looked happy. Her people were just going on about their day as normal, doing what they do. It was quite….peaceful….the way they lived. 

I then walked further into the village hoping to catch eye of Pocahontas, but with the little I did know about her, something told me that she wasn’t here, but I still wanted to check. I walked through the village looking around as people gave me curious looks, curious to who I was and why I was there. But at least they didn’t look threatened. I stood still, looking around to see if I could spot her but then I heard a familiar voice, a nice calming voice that was full of wisdom. 

“How nice it is to see a friendly face.” I looked over and saw the chief of the tribe walking over to me. Chief Powhatan. I remember when I met him he was very kind and caring. He was so warm and welcoming to outsiders, but that was probably because of John Smith, so he may not jump to conclusions that everyone is out to do harm. I wonder if John was still around. As soon as he reached me he hugged me, which I was very surprised by but accepted it. “Pocahontas told me what happened before you left us. I have been quite worried about you.” 

“You were?” 

“Yes. Pocahontas cares for you and it hurt me to see her worry. You also have a strong, and warm hearted spirit. So something told me you’d be fine. I’m glad you came back to visit us.” 

“I am too. I’ve been looking forward to it since the last time I was here I wasn’t here long.” 

“Yes, but since it seems you have the time I’d love to have you here for awhile. We can show you our homeland but I am sure my daughter would like to do that.” He smiled warmly. “I suppose that is one reason why you’re here? To see Pocahontas?” 

“Yes, is she here anywhere?” 

He chuckled, “She is not.  Pocahontas is a free spirit. She goes where the wind takes her, like her mother.” 

“Is her mother here? I’d like to meet her.” 

His eyes saddened, but he still kept a warm smile on his face. “Her mother left us long ago, Pocahontas was still young then.” 

“I’m sorry…I didn’t…” 

He raised a hand and shook his head. “It’s alright. You did not know. I see my wife in Pocahontas everyday, as she grows. She has her mother’s spirit.” 

“Your wife sounds like she was a very beautiful woman with a very beautiful spirit.” 

He smiled warmly. “Yes she was and she did. Even though she is not here, she is still with us in spirit, in the river, in the wind, and in the leaves.  We can still feel her and Pocahontas is so much like her.” 

I could tell as he spoke of his daughter and late wife, he did miss her greatly, and saw her through his daughter. Knowing because of how free spirited his daughter was, he would just have to let her roam free, like the wind. He was very nostalgic, I could tell as he spoke that he had been, I’m sure, reminiscing of the memories when Pocahontas’s mother was still around, and how happy they all were. 

“I have learned much from Pocahontas in such a short time,” he said as he looked towards the sky. “It was difficult but I have learned that I have to let her choose her own path, no matter how much I want to protect her from what obstacles come her way.”