Savages Vs. Savages ~Part 3~

As soon as we left the ship there was already a horse driven carriage there waiting for us. Pocahontas Meeko, Percy and Flit were excited, while Uttamatomakkin was just as silent and still as a rock, not showing much emotion about anything. John Rolfe had opened the door for Pocahontas and I, and we climbed in, as he turned to step in he stopped and looked at Uttamatomakkin.

            “You know, there’s plenty of room in here for all of us.” Uttamatomakin ignored him and simply stood there. “Suit yourself.” He said and closed the carriage door. When it started to move Uttamatomakkin was running along side it, keeping up with it like it was nothing. 

            “Won’t he tire from that?” John Rolfe asked.

 I didn’t answer and Pocahontas was too busy looking out the window, looking at all the people and the buildings. She was really taking in the sights.  She had that look of wonder and excitement in her eyes, and before we knew it she opened the carriage door and climb on to it’s roof. 

“Pocahontas?!” John Rolfe and I both said. 

John Rolfe leaned out of the carriage window, “Uh, Pocahontas? Could you please come back down here, in carriage…where it’s safe?” 

“This is so amazing!” Pocahontas said. 

“P-Pocahontas please? Get down from there.” 

“Oh this trip will be quite fun,” I said to myself. 

Eventually Pocahontas came back inside the carriage and sat down, John Rolfe’s tense body finally relaxed once she was inside. Since we arrived and until now Meeko and Flit had been had been tussling around while Percy was taking a nap in Pocahontas’ lap, and Uttamatomakkin had been constantly cutting notches in the long wooden staff the chief gave him. 

After a few minutes the carriage came to sudden halt. I peaked outside the window to see that some small collision had happened with another carriage going the opposite direction. All of us exited the carriage and hurried to the scene while Uttamatomakkin stayed by the carriage, still notching the wooden staff. A tall, wide man, wearing deep pink colors, exited the other carriage. He looked at all f us and a smile appeared on his face as he looked at Pocahontas and John Rolfe. 

“Well done, Rolfe,” he said. “Bringing back a heathen as an example.” He then looked over at Pocahontas and chuckled. “Look at her, she sticks out like a sore thumb.” 

“Pocahontas is here as an emissary of her people.” John Rolfe answered. “A personal guest of the king.” 

“The king has appointed me…to lead an armada against the savages.” John Rolfe then looked confused. “Don’t tell me you didn’t know? The King wants his gold.” 

“There is no gold!” Pocahontas said. 

“Another barbarian lie.” He said. Who was this guy? I could already tell he was arrogant, a cheat, and a liar. Whoever this man was, I could see he would be a problem. “As soon as the ships are armed. I set sail to destroy the heathens and reclaim Jamestown for James.” 

The man then cleared his throat and climbed back in his carriage and then it sped off. 

“Who was that?” I asked. 

“That was Ratcliffe,” John Rolfe answered. “And if he is here, then he will definitely be a problem.” 

“We must stop him!” Pocahontas, I could now tell she was fumed. “Warn your king of his lies!” 

“But he wasn’t lying. The parchment bore the king’s seal.” 

“What? Then your king’s promise to meet me was the lie.” 

“A king doesn’t lie!” 

“They cannot both be true.” 

“No. It-It’s just a misunderstanding. It has to be…I can straighten this out, come one.” John Rolfe then looked at Uttamatomakkin. “Riding or running?” All he got in return was a stern stare. “Thought I’d offer one more time.” 

The sun had just set when we arrived to a nice, and cozy looking two story white house. 

“Please wait here a moment,” John Rolfe said and stepped out to approach the house. In that moment I wanted to take the opportunity to ask Pocahontas something that had been on my mind for awhile now. 

“Pocahontas?” 

She looked at me, “Yes?” 

“I’ve been meaning to ask….where is John Smith? I thought he’d still be around. Did he leave?” 

Her face saddened as she took a breath.  “John Smith…is gone….last winter I had received a letter that he had been killed. That was a year ago. He had left about a month or so after we met you, he had to return to his village, he had to return here. He was severely wounded, and had to come home to be treated properly. And I received the letter that winter. It’s still hard to accept….him being gone.”

 “I’m sorry…” I knew that must have still been a sensitive subject for her. She loved him. 

“No, it’s ok. These things happen. The right path is always the hardest, or maybe it’s a new path.” 

John Rolfe then came back. “Alright, Come along then, I had to check on the garden before we go inside.” 

Pochontas and the rest of us, followed John Rolfe up to the front door, where Meeko was already waiting impatiently on the front porch. He opened the front door a called a name. 

“Mrs. Jenkins!” He called loudly, his voice carrying through the house. Pocahontas and I flinched at the sound of glass shattering and followed by a very high pitch and maybe high strung voice. 

“Good Gracious, “ a short, elderly woman scurried into the foyer, squinting her eyes. “Is that my Johnny?!” She then gave, who she thought was John Rolfe, but ended up giving Meeko a big kiss on the mouth. I  stuck my tongue out in disgust.  Mrs. Jenkins seemed like a sweet woman, and maybe a little crazy. She had a long, pointy nose and white dress with a pink layer over it and then had on a white apron and wore a white bonnet on her head. 

“Ooh Johnny, you need a bath.” Pocahontas giggled at the sight.  John Rolfe then leaned down to the old woman and took hold of the small glasses that were hanging from her neck and placed them in front of her eyes. Her squinting eyes then seemed to open up, she could definitely see now. “Look at you.” Mrs. Jenkins giggled. 

“Mrs. Jenkins,” John Rolfe cleared his throat. “I would like to introduce Pocahontas. Pocahontas, Mrs. Jenkins. The Jenkinses have been with the Rolfes for generations.” John Rolfe then leaned over to Pocahontas and whispered. “Careful, she’s about to put on some tea.” 

“I’ll put on some tea,” Mrs. Jenkins said, happy to have company. As Mrs. Jenkins started to turn she walked into Uttamatomakkin. “Oh! Ooh…” She was shocked by his size and stature. 

“And this is Uttamatomakkin, and Ayame,” John Rolfe said. 

“Ooh, I’ll put on lots and lots of tea.” 

“Well, I’m off to see the king.” 

“I want to go with you.” Pocahontas said. 

“Uh, Pocahontas, the conventions in England are very complex.” He got a jacket to put on. “I must go alone.” 

“But- But-“ 

“Now, I promise I will arrange for you to see the king.” She gave him a frustrated look. “My word as a gentleman. Trust me.” Before walking out the door he stopped beside me and placed a hand on my back. “Keep her company, will you?” 

I nodded. 

“Splendid.  I will speak with you when I get back. To tell you how it all went.” He then left closing the door behind him. 

“I must find a way to warn my people to stop this.” Pocahontas said, already feeling worried and stressed. 

“It’s alright,” I told her. “Be patient.” 

“Yes,” Mrs. Jenkins said walking from room to room. “Leave it to Johnny. He gave you his word as a gentleman, my dear. You can stake your life on that.”