Nervous Wreck

Wow! The last story got quite a bit of views and comments. You guys are really enjoying these.
Hope you like this one. It might not be the best, but it's not the worse.

--

Speedy was pacing back and forth and muttering to himself in front of the control panel when the cadets, minus Penny, walked in.

"Maybe I can.... no no, that won't work. I could just... hmm... no." Speedy muttered to himself.

The boys looked on curiously at their teacher, who had not picked up on their presence . They looked to each other briefly then looked back to Speedy.

"Hi Speedy." Swift said to get his attention.

"Huh?! Oh... its you, cadets." Speedy turned to them in a slight panic, then relaxed with a sigh of relief when he realized who it was.

"Um, Speedy? Is everything ok? You seem a bit... jumpy." Swift stated.

Rod and Brody nodded in agreement.

"And kinda nervous." Brody added.

"Nervous... jumpy... eh heh heh. No, I'm fine. Don't worry yourself, cadets. By the way, where's Penny?" Speedy tried to cover up. But the three saw passed it. It was the same behavior he had when Inspector Eagle-Eye was visiting.

"She's with Bea. They're working on the Aqua Wing." Swift replied.

"And you're not fine. You're nervous about something. We can tell." Brody added.

"What's wrong, Speedy?" Rod asked.

Speedy sighed in defeat.

"You're right, cadets. I am... a bit nervous about something." he admitted.

"Is it another test with the inspector?" Brody asked.

"No, nothing like that. It's just..." Speedy gave a heavy sigh. "You cadets know Bea and I have been together for a while..."

The cadets nodded.

"Well... I'm thinking of finally proposing to her." Speedy admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.

"That's great, Speedy!" Swift stated.

"Wait... you two aren't married?" Rod asked.

"I thought you two were already married." Brody said, a bit surprised.

Speedy chuckled. "I'm guessing Cheep and Chirp being here would make you think that."

Rod and Brody nodded.

"Cheep and Chirp were last year's Spring Chicks. Apart from the Commodore, Bea and I were the only birds living close by. Although we weren't ready for them, we offered to take them in as our own. And... I can't say we regret doing so. They're a wing-full, but they have made our lives a bit more interesting." Speedy explained. 

"But, they're not the reason I want to propose. Bea and I have been together for as long as I can remember. I just feel its time we finalize it. I'm just... not sure how to go about doing it, and... am a bit nervous of what her answer will be." He continued.

"I'm sure she'll say yes. You two have been together for a while. I don't understand why you'd be nervous about it." Brody stated.

"Oh, trust me, Brody. When you meet someone who makes you feel almost brain dead that your body forgets how to function properly, you'll understand. I was super nervous when I confessed to Penny, and I know I'd probably be a nervous wreck if we stay together long enough for me to be able to propose. So I understand how Speedy feels." Swift stated.

"Oh. That's what it feels like? Ok. I'll remember that." Brody replied.

"Swift's right. During courting, you're basically together to get to know each other better and see if things are really working out between you. To propose... w-well... you're stating you want to spend the rest of your life with them. And... that's what I want with Bea. I'm just a bit doubtful and unsure how to go about it." Speedy admitted sadly.

"We can help you out, Speedy." Rod stated.

"Yea. We might not be experienced in that area, but we can at least give some ideas to help you out." Swift agreed.

"Thanks, cadets. I'd really appreciate that." Speedy smiled gratefully at them. 

--

Aaaaand that's it for this one. Not the most exciting, but this idea wouldn't leave me alone.