A Thorny Situation

Edit: Renamed the chapter from 'Be Gentle'

It seems I should have added a warning in my last story, as a lot of you seemed to have had heart attacks reading it. XD  But I'm happy you all enjoyed it.

Here's another for you guys. I'm not entirely sure this is the appropriate title for it, but it's what I came up with when this idea came to me. I don't know why or how my brain came up with this idea, but it did and once again, it wouldn't leave me alone until I wrote it.

I hope you like it.  

--

"Ow... Ow... OW!" Penny yelled in pain. "Swift, be gentle."

"Sorry, Penny. I'm trying, but that's easier said than done." Swift replied.

"Ow!" Penny continued to cry out.

"Try to think of something to distract you from the pain." Swift told her.

"Like what?" she asked.

"I don't know. Anything. Maybe something you love." he suggested.

"Hm. I can think of one thing." she playfully replied.

Although he couldn't see her face since he was behind her, he could tell by the tone of her voice that she was being playful. Swift gave a loud exasperated sigh as he continued what he was doing, earning him a giggle from the penguin.

"Even when she's in pain, she still finds a chance to be playful with me. At least it put her mind off what I'm doing for a moment." Swift thought.

"Something besides me, Penny." he told her. "I am the one causing you pain right now. So I don't think thinking of me is going to help in this situation."

"Ow! Aww... yea, you're right," she replied. She then did a thoughtful hum. "Oh! I know! Kelp-icers! Yum! And sea slug-icers! Oh, you know what I've always wanted to try? Kelp slug-icers!" 

"Kelp slug-icers? You mean like, both of them as one icy treat?" Swift asked.

"Uh-huh," Penny replied, as she continued to ramble on.

Swift quietly chuckled. "Well, at least she's distracted. Now, to finish getting these thorns out." he thought.

He continued with little to no trouble, while Penny kept herself distracted. That is until he got to the last thorn.

"Oh no. That one's bigger. I hope it didn't go too deep. She's gonna scream when I pull it out." he sadly thought."I'm sorry, Penny. But this one's gonna hurt. Here goes nothing." he pulls it out, causing Penny to stop her rambling and let out a loud scream, then whimper in pain. 

"T-that one... r-really hurt," she said, her eyes a little teary.

"I know. I'm sorry." Swift apologized while nuzzling the side of her head to help calm her. "But there was nothing I could have done for it to not hurt."

"I know. I-Its not your fault, Swift. I know you did your best to be gentle." she whimpered.

"Thanks, Penny. Thankfully, that was the last one," he told her. "I'm going to rub some aloe on you. It will sting a bit at first, but it will help with the healing."

"Ok." Penny weakly replied.

Swift flew over to his bunk to get the aloe when the door to their sleeping quarters opens and Bea rushed in.

"Penny! Are you alright? I heard you scream." Bea worriedly asked.

"Y-yea. I'm ok, Bea. Swift was just helping me with something." Penny replied.

"With what?" Bea asked.

"Well..." Penny as a bit embarrassed to say what had happened.

"Hi, Bea. Perfect timing." Swift said as he flew back over to Penny.

"Hi, Swift. Perfect timing for what? And what happened?" Bea asked.

"Penny accidentally slid into a thorn bush." Swift replied as he started rubbing some of the aloes to the back of Penny's head, neck and arms. She flinched a bit at first but soon started to relax.

"Ouch. How did that happen?" Bea asked.

"We were playing hide-and-seek. I wanted to give Rod a fair chance to find me. The bush I found, unfortunately, was covering up a thorn bush." Penny replied.

"Oh. I see. But, what do you need me for, Swift? You seem to have everything under control." Bea asked.

Swift blushed. "W-well, I was able to get the thorns out, but... her back needs to be rubbed down. And... well..." he looked away, flushed. 

Bea caught on and giggled. "Ok, Swift. I'll take it from here."

"Thanks, Bea." Swift smiled, allowing her to take his place. He then flew over in front of Penny. "Feeling better?" he asked.

Penny nodded and smiled. "Thank you, Swift."

"Anytime, Penny." Swift smiled as he gently patted and rubbed the top of her head, earning him a giggle from her. "I'll see you later, ok."

Penny nodded before he finally left the room and the door closed shut behind him. Once he was gone, Penny let out a long, happy sigh as she brought herself to lay flat on her belly on her bed.

Bea giggled. "You're a very lucky girl, Penny."

Penny blushed. "I am." she happily replied. "So very, very lucky."

--

Yea, I know. Weird plot, but oh well. Hope it was ok.