𝟝

New word count: 1.6k
Date (re)published: November 5th, 2020
----------------

— Saturday - The Hogwarts Grounds - 1:28pm —

"Let me get this straight. You want me to train kids who don't even have past a few years at most of training with magic to fight in a war?" Harry's voice was shaky as he restated the words his friends had suggested. They were looking at him expectantly, like he was supposed to think this genuine.

Hermione's voice was much more sturdy than his as she responded with vigor. "To teach them. We believe," she gestured to her and Ron, "that kids could really benefit from being trained by a more... qualified instructor such as yourself. I'm not saying that our professors aren't qualified, just that the current predicament with our new Headmistress, Headmistress Umbridge, doesn't allow for much instruction that isn't under her control."

Harry blinked a few times.

Ron cut in after a few moments of silence. "Oh for fuck's sake. Basically, Umbridge is a bitch and won't let us learn magic with our wands, but you defeated Voldemort as a baby and are head of our class in Defense so we want you to teach us." 

Harry blinked a few more times.

There was a long and dreadful stretch of silence before Harry spoke, and when he did, it wasn't the answer his friends had yearned for.

"No. Absolutely not. No—"

"Just think about it." Hermione's voice was firm as she spoke to Harry, though her smile was soft and warm.

"I'm not—"

Before Harry could finish his sentence, Hermione had skipped back to the castle, leaving Harry and Ron to a light breeze and sunny sky.

Ron shrugged and gave him a questioning glance that seemed to say, what are you gonna do? His brown eyes created a piercing glance that intimidated Harry, and made him a bit uncomfortable.

"I—I'll think about it," Harry's response would have to do for now, as Ron's unsatisfied sigh didn't settle quite right.

"Thanks, mate. 'Mione will have my head if I can't get you to agree." With that, Ron sauntered carelessly toward the looming castle, and left Harry alone; a stifling breeze bit Harry's face and seemed to laugh at him before it was blown away by separate winds.

"Just think about it," Harry mimicked Hermione's voice with impressive similarity, but also a great dose on immaturity.

As Harry trudged toward the castle, he repeated the—very short —conversation he'd had with his friends in his head. How was he supposed to teach kids? He didn't even have any goddamn credentials! How could Hermione, of all people, think that this was a good idea?

I'm not doing it! he thought, a very stubborn voice chanting the words endlessly in his head as he made his way towards the doors.

But, of course, when Harry sat down with Hermione at dinner that night, he agreed to her unstructured childish plan. And of course he knew exactly the place to host the sessions.

•••

— Thursday - the Come and Go Room - 11:24 pm —