𝟚𝟚

New word count: 2k
Date (re)published: November 22th, 2020
----------------

— Wednesday - The Great Hall - 7:34am —

"Harry, be a good boy and eat your toast," Ron said, poking Harry in the chest.

"What if I decided to go gluten free?" Harry responded, stabbing the toast in his plate with his butter knife.

"Congrats. There's gluten-free bread right over there."

"What if-"

"Just eat the fucking toast, mate."

Harry took a small bite off of the corner of his toast, and set the food down on his plate. "It's dry," he complained.

"That's because your toast is naked. Put something on it, mate."

"Will you pass the margarine?"

"Margarine, or marmalade?"

"What kind of marmalade?"

"Apricot."

"Definitely margarine, then."

"What do you have against apricots?"

"The flavour."

"Touché." Ron passed the margarine toward Harry, who put a decent amount on his toast before taking a bite.

"Still dry," he complained again.

"Dip it in water then. I dunno what your issue is."

"My issue is that I hate toast."

"Since when?"

"Since my options were margarine or apricot marmalade."

"Maybe tomorrow there'll be normal marmalade. Until then, these are your options." Ron took a bite of his breakfast sausage. "Eat up, mate. We've got a potions test later."

Harry grumbled and reluctantly ate his toast, which, for the record, was extremely dry despite Ron's obvious efforts to convince him otherwise.

Hermione was in the Hospital Wing again, which was unusual for Hermione. She'd been released a few weeks prior, but a high fever that was unwilling to break despite the copious amounts of charms and spells cast by Madam Pomfrey had attacked her in the night, causing Ron to go into a panic. Now, he was dead set on tending to Harry, who was being extremely distant, because he was moody like that.

The Gryffindor table was noticeably quieter without Hermione's constant nagging and complaining about grades, and assignments, and effort. Harry decided that he'd needed a vacation from the nagging people in his life. Malfoy and Hermione were only dragging him away from success.

Except he really needed them back. Ron was great, but when he went all Hufflepuff on Harry, he felt like slapping the ginger's freckles right off of his face. His caring and tender personality was great for his girlfriend, maybe, but when it came to his best mate, Ron was overly excessive when it came to Harry's health. He reminded Harry to meditate on the morning, something Harry'd never even thought to have done before, and he reminded him to eat every component of a balanced breakfast. Harry was reminded to drink plenty of water, and to get enough sleep before the next morning's rise.